Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
SMF - Just Installed!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Official "Man, why did I buy this?" thread  (Read 16181 times)
nonametofame

View Profile
« on: Jan 23, 2007, 03:08:25 AM »

Got a dvd in your collection that you truly regret buying and probably sticks out like a sore thumb in your collection? If so, share your thoughts here.

To feed my HD-DVD craving a few months back, I picked up Tomb Raider HD-DVD. I then remembered why I never bought the standard dvd, it sucks bullocks. To add insult to injury, I found the PQ to be lackluster. Now I'm on track purchasing just movies I like.
Tommy

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2007, 09:30:43 AM »

I once owned Shallow Hal, Bounce and Undercover Brother. Thankfully, I've since traded/sold these for better discs. In my defense, the first two I picked up without having seen them first. As for the last one, I thought it was hilarious the first time through, but a year later it was the dumbest movie I'd ever seen. Weird how that works sometimes.
jfrost
Shriners

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2007, 10:07:11 AM »

Would have to be Riverdance (Superbit)!  I was one title shot of having the entire Superbit collection, and that title was Riverdance.  I bought it, never watched it, and then sold off the majority of them at a used DVD store.  I am still ashamed to have owned that one Smiley
Kedrix
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

*The Forgotten One*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2007, 12:13:00 PM »

Star Chamber or Jacquelyne Hyde, both impulse bargain bin buys.  Both came out like crap...Star Chamber should have good due to Michael Douglas, but just fell apart.  Jacquelyne Hyde was obviously a "b" crap trying to be erotic trying to be horror movie.  It fell on both counts.  Thankfully I've gotten rid of both. 

Michael Durr
aka
Kedrix of Aldrianian
(*The Forgotten One*)
StudioGeek
Shriners

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: Mar 23, 2007, 06:19:00 PM »

None... At least not anymore. I once owned 500+ DVD's as many of you once saw... I now own about 40 or 50. I realized I just did nto watch them all, plus with Netflix, TiVo and some of my favorites on my Video iPod - I just didnt need them, plus on top of it all I figured I'd need to buy all new HD discs one day anyway, so I sold them while they still had some, albeit not much value left.

Plus, it helps me save and put more on the ol' CC debit racked up buying these infernal DVD's in the first place.

I still have some listed on Half.com for cheap, if anyones interested, just look up "bryskyd" - I'm not going to shill (where is ruthy anyway?) with a link...

StudioGeek (FKA bryskyd)

Me on XBOX360:
teedub
Shriners
Ultimate Member

Pop it to lock it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: Mar 24, 2007, 12:56:16 PM »

Yeah, I've been thinking of purging some titles, but I can't bear to do it for less than $5 each.  I'd rather keep them, at least I think I would.
Nice to see you still lurking Bryan!

Anyway, back on topic...

My claim to shame would have to be the Sex And The City series.  Though I did enjoy them, they always get a raised eyebrow from visitors.

I've sold through so many, some that I actually can't remember even owning.  I'll have to give it a little more thought, perhaps.

Beckmen
Shriners
Ultimate Member

I'm a alien!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: Mar 24, 2007, 01:33:10 PM »

I don't know how to get to your half.com page, Bry. I tried typing in your name, but it got no hits. Got a link?

My Short Films
My DVD Collection

"When you're pushed...killing's as easy as breathing."
StudioGeek
Shriners

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: Mar 25, 2007, 01:09:58 PM »

I don't know how to get to your half.com page, Bry. I tried typing in your name, but it got no hits. Got a link?

here you go beck...just a few titles left, but if anyone's interested at least you know im reliable Smiley

http://shops.half.ebay.com/bryskyd_W0QQ

Bry

StudioGeek (FKA bryskyd)

Me on XBOX360:
Beckmen
Shriners
Ultimate Member

I'm a alien!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: Mar 25, 2007, 04:26:24 PM »

Nah, nothing there that looks too enticing. Thanks, anyway.

My Short Films
My DVD Collection

"When you're pushed...killing's as easy as breathing."
Kedrix
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

*The Forgotten One*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: Mar 26, 2007, 06:26:45 AM »

Lemony Snickets CE is tempting, but that's about it.  I had no idea on your books that the movies of the 70's is worth so much.  I have the 80's and 90's editions and I picked those up for $8 to $10 a piece.  I also picked one up from the same publishers that has a whole mess of info and pictures on Paul Verhoeven.  Awesome books, really. 

Michael Durr
aka
Kedrix of Aldrianian
(*The Forgotten One*)
Mirage52
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Mar 26, 2007, 08:57:55 AM »

I'd have to say that Suspiria is a regrettable buy, but not an embarrassing one. Stay away from rom-coms and you're usually good.

Who's house? Run's house.
StudioGeek
Shriners

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: Mar 26, 2007, 10:21:27 AM »

Lemony Snickets CE is tempting, but that's about it.  I had no idea on your books that the movies of the 70's is worth so much.  I have the 80's and 90's editions and I picked those up for $8 to $10 a piece.  I also picked one up from the same publishers that has a whole mess of info and pictures on Paul Verhoeven.  Awesome books, really. 

Ked,

One of the reasons its priced so high is the unbelievable shipping costs since it's heavy. Make me a decent offer and it's yours, I'd rather give it to someone who has the others and appreciates it (I sold my others), and you can pay me through paypal so I can avoid the stupid shipping options through Half... Deal?

StudioGeek (FKA bryskyd)

Me on XBOX360:
Kedrix
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

*The Forgotten One*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: Mar 26, 2007, 11:37:41 AM »

I'll let you know probably closer to the end of the week (these are such great coffee table books)...one quick question though, it says paperback...my two editions are hardbacks w/dustjackets, I'm about 98% sure; what's yours? 

Michael Durr
aka
Kedrix of Aldrianian
(*The Forgotten One*)
StudioGeek
Shriners

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: Mar 26, 2007, 11:51:55 AM »

I'll let you know probably closer to the end of the week (these are such great coffee table books)...one quick question though, it says paperback...my two editions are hardbacks w/dustjackets, I'm about 98% sure; what's yours? 

Yeah there is only one version, it's like a hybrid - it's a flexible semi-hard cover. I'll check again when I get home but its not a thick hardcover or a dinky little softcover either. I'll post a photo later...

StudioGeek (FKA bryskyd)

Me on XBOX360:
Kedrix
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

*The Forgotten One*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: Mar 26, 2007, 11:54:24 AM »

My Paul Verhoeven book is like that ($3 at the Half Price books, absolute steal), so that would probably be cool...I would like to see the picture though, thanks.

Michael Durr
aka
Kedrix of Aldrianian
(*The Forgotten One*)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: