Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
SMF - Just Installed!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Worst kind of matting?  (Read 2829 times)
Beckmen
Shriners
Ultimate Member

I'm a alien!

View Profile WWW
« on: Jul 17, 2009, 07:29:09 PM »

This crops up often. Often in comedies, as seen here in The Cable Guy:

2.35:1 or 1.33:1, neither of these compositions really work. I probably should have capped another scene, since there are better shots in the movie that express it. In 2.35:1 you get heads chopped off, in the 1.33:1 you get that 'pan and scan' look. This is what happens when you shoot a movie for both formats: Everything suffers. Hollywood needs to pick an aspect ratio and stick to it. I imagine they probably kind of do now, since 1.78:1 is the new 1.33:1. But still, you get stuff like Once Upon A Time in Mexico that ends up popping up in both 2.35:1 and 1.78:1 as well. So the risk of this happening is still there. The main thing is how many movies made in the long timespan when this "TV safe" shooting style was going on.

What I really want is a 1.78:1 hybrid. That would probably work pretty well. They'd have to go back to the original prints, and then have some eagle-eyed tech make sure no equipment was poking into frame, but at least you would be able to deliver some compositions that don't look like somebody jammed it into one AR or the other.

My Short Films
My DVD Collection

"When you're pushed...killing's as easy as breathing."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: