Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
SMF - Just Installed!

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I think I just lost 1000-1700 dollars!  (Read 16617 times)
Beckmen
Shriners
Ultimate Member

I'm a alien!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: Jul 15, 2009, 04:01:32 PM »

I went back to WM and I think that Vizio has viewing angle issues. Also, it's a matte screen. Most of their LCDs have both of those issues. There is a Sony 46" that doesn't (and I think my friend has the same model), but it's only 46" and it's only 60hz. Waaaaaahhhhhhh!!! I want to be upgrading here. I mean, it's bad enough that I have to buy a new TV, I'd rather not end up buying something that is essentially the same thing. It's gotta be bigger, better and more bad-ass!

My Short Films
My DVD Collection

"When you're pushed...killing's as easy as breathing."
Shriners
Ultimate Member

Dressed for Success!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jul 15, 2009, 04:13:28 PM »

What are your options for stores?  It seems like you plan to buy from Walmart, but if you look at Amazon you can get the newest Samsung Touch of Color LCD with all the bells for less than $1500, no tax/free shipping.  Might be worth a shot if you don't mind ordering online.

Beckmen
Shriners
Ultimate Member

I'm a alien!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: Jul 15, 2009, 04:29:02 PM »

Hate ordering online. I mean, not being able to test-drive is bad enough, but not even being able to see what it is I am buying is worst.

Touch of Color, eh? Sounds pretty gay. I found a 46" TOC on amazon, and they make it sound fun, though...but without knowing a whole lot about it (dot-by-dot? They say 178-degree viewing angle, but who doesn't? is the screen all matte and crappy?) coupled with the "I wanna see it" factor, I doubt I will buy it.

My Short Films
My DVD Collection

Shriners
Ultimate Member

Dressed for Success!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jul 15, 2009, 04:34:54 PM »

Do you have a Best Buy near you?  They sell the brand in their stores if you want to physically see it.  I agree the TOC sounds a little lame, but when you see it in person, its really subtle, like the the dark red you'd see in mahogany wood.  Kinda elegant looking, but then again tastes are different, so you may not like it.

Beckmen
Shriners
Ultimate Member

I'm a alien!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: Jul 15, 2009, 06:04:41 PM »

There are Best Buys about an hour away. I am going to try and get to one somewhat soon, and check out their TVs.

My Short Films
My DVD Collection

Movie Freak
Shriners
Ultimate Member

"And I thought they smelled bad on the outside!"

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jul 15, 2009, 08:24:10 PM »

There are Best Buys about an hour away. I am going to try and get to one somewhat soon, and check out their TVs.

I would wait until Oct or Nov. That's when they start to push out last years models at reduced prices to get ready for the silly season.

I know I don't say it enough, but I love you guys!
Beckmen
Shriners
Ultimate Member

I'm a alien!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: Jul 20, 2009, 11:12:07 PM »

Waiting....I dunno. I got Watchmen coming any day. Watching it on this 34" embarrassment to HD seems like a very sad thing to do.

Went to Best Buy the other day. Damn. Not a whole lot to offer that wasn't LCD, Plasma, or LED. A whopping total of TWO DLP TVs, one of them with a blue tint on the screen, the other wasn't even turned on. Didn't exactly sell me on the tech, plus I think I might have been seeing rainbows.

Tell me why I shouldn't go and buy this son of a bitch in a matter of days:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10993799

(OK, other than the viewing angle issue and matte screen. Closer inspection reveals the Sony KDL46S5100 to have viewing angle issues, as well.)

OH, and PS: I need to buy a BNlu-ray player, now too! The HDMI on my PS3 must have been fried. Couldn't get it to work on my friend's KDL46S5100, either. Still works via component, so it'll be fine for games and other media, but for Blu-ray, I will need to invest in a real 1080p BD player. Suggestions?
« Last Edit: Jul 20, 2009, 11:15:14 PM by Beckmen » Logged

My Short Films
My DVD Collection

Beckmen
Shriners
Ultimate Member

I'm a alien!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: Jul 23, 2009, 01:17:35 AM »

Seriously. Anybody have any suggestions? Am I maybe doing something wrong with the PS3? I can't seem to get it to do anything at all over the HDMI. If I need to buy a BD player, what do I look for? Seems like the higher-end models are still going for 300-400 bucks! Sad

My Short Films
My DVD Collection

Kedrix
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

*The Forgotten One*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: Jul 23, 2009, 05:41:03 AM »

*puts on the Freaker hat*, you probably aren't doing anything wrong with the PS3, as far as I know, it's plug and go.  Only the 360 has that weird switch you have to mess with.  BD player, I've bought two of them.  Didn't like the Samsung, it never quite worked right but my Sony S350 works like a dream.  It bitstreams beautifully (as long as you play with the settings) and it only cost me $250 brand new.  The HDMI works fantastic, I really can't say enough good things about it.  You don't need a higher-end model when the basic Sony's work really well.  Just use your PS3 for the games via component and you are good to go. 

As far as TV's go, the Visio you linked is a nice machine.  Heck, I'm on a 42"inch Philips Plasma that goes to 1080i and that's it. (but I'm perfectly happy with it)  Stick to what you know and get what makes you happy, listen to others, but don't be ruled by them. 

Now go, go, go.   Grin

Michael Durr
aka
Kedrix of Aldrianian
(*The Forgotten One*)
cj

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Jul 23, 2009, 05:58:14 AM »

Unless it's me.  You should take my opinion regardless of what you think Wink

Because you all know how technologically wise I am Smiley

Good luck.  I know you'll find something you're happy with.
Movie Freak
Shriners
Ultimate Member

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Jul 23, 2009, 05:01:18 PM »

I have the Sony S350 as well and from day one I have been recommending it to anyone who will listen.

Samsung has reliability issues with their players and the connectivity is brutal, more so if you own a Samsung tv, they've idiot proofed their front-end so much, it's ironically IDIOTIC!!!!

Anyway, Sony is the mother of Blu, so that was my mentality when picking a player.

As far as your TV issues, I'm done giving my opinion, everyone who has listened has ended up happy so look back at all my LCD and DLP advice on the board.

teedub
Shriners
Ultimate Member

Pop it to lock it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: Jul 25, 2009, 08:01:51 AM »

+1 to Freak's HT advice.  Just sayin.

Beckmen
Shriners
Ultimate Member

I'm a alien!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: Aug 01, 2009, 08:40:05 PM »

I have the Sony S350 as well and from day one I have been recommending it to anyone who will listen.

Samsung has reliability issues with their players and the connectivity is brutal, more so if you own a Samsung tv, they've idiot proofed their front-end so much, it's ironically IDIOTIC!!!!

Anyway, Sony is the mother of Blu, so that was my mentality when picking a player.

As far as your TV issues, I'm done giving my opinion, everyone who has listened has ended up happy so look back at all my LCD and DLP advice on the board.

Is the BDP-S360 basically the same thing as the 350? The 350 is harder to find, I can probably buy the 360 in-store instead of having to order online.

Also, don't recall any advice on LCD, Freak. Point me in the right direction.

My Short Films
My DVD Collection

Beckmen
Shriners
Ultimate Member

I'm a alien!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: Aug 26, 2009, 07:42:52 PM »

Well, I ended up going with...

KDL-52V5100
BDP-S360

52 inch LCD, 1080p 120hz...pretty nice. A few minor issues. Some black crush, red flashing...but over-all WORLDS better than the Philips that it replaced. Thus far.

My Short Films
My DVD Collection

Movie Freak
Shriners
Ultimate Member

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Aug 28, 2009, 07:13:18 PM »

Well, I ended up going with...

KDL-52V5100
BDP-S360

52 inch LCD, 1080p 120hz...pretty nice. A few minor issues. Some black crush, red flashing...but over-all WORLDS better than the Philips that it replaced. Thus far.

Congrats!

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: