Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
SMF - Just Installed!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I think I just lost 1000-1700 dollars!  (Read 17713 times)
Beckmen
Shriners
Ultimate Member

I'm a alien!

View Profile WWW
« on: Jul 11, 2009, 05:36:15 PM »

Massive thunderstorm. TV was off. Connected to surge protector. Suddenly a loud crack and literally my entire field of vision goes completely white. When I can see again, I almost pass out and get my bearings. Not exactly sure what happened, but it was bad because when I tried to turn my TV on minutes later...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZaBIO-1-C0

(you can't really see, but the sound is the important part. The screen displays no image whatsoever. I haven't left it on longer than I did in the video, because the sound is too scary.)

My Short Films
My DVD Collection

"When you're pushed...killing's as easy as breathing."
Shriners
Ultimate Member

Dressed for Success!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Jul 11, 2009, 08:23:47 PM »

Oh shit man, sounds like you got a bit of the electric current as well.
Is your TV still under the manufacturer's warranty.  Mine wasn't as severe, but my TV was fried by an electric current (or so the repair man says) and they came out and replaced the fried card for free, although there may be more issues with yours from the look of the video.

The repair man also left me with some sage advice.  Surge protectors don't guarantee crap.  He told me he saw highest end industrial surge protectors still not get the job done.  I'm going to try as often as possible to unplug my stuff now if the storm is really bad.

Beckmen
Shriners
Ultimate Member

I'm a alien!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: Jul 11, 2009, 08:52:48 PM »

Well, so far I have been unable to move metal objects with my mind. Still looking for the silver lining here.

You are right about surge protectors. None of them are infallible. We see a lot of computers come into the shop fried, and the customers say "But I had a surge protector!". However, there are multiple brands that will replace damaged devices up to 10,000 dollars. So you can rest easy with them. Although it's always simpler to just exercise caution and unplug shit when the world is f**king ending. But we have been getting these electrical storms so often, like once a week.

ANYWAY....

I hooked up my old CRT HD, but now I can't get the blasted PS3 to output a HDMI signal that the TV will accept. I reset the PS3 like 7 times, nothing. Finally dug out the composite cables and hooked it up that way, then went to Display Settings and hit HDMI, but when I tune to the HDMI, still a fracking black screen! I am NOT seeing an option anywhere to select an actual resolution here, so for all I know it's trying to output as 1080p, but my TV doesn't know what the frack a 1080p is! (It's old!)

So....how do I tell it to display at a specific rez? I seem to remember this option...but I can't find it. Deleted with recent firmware or some crap? Umm...help? If my PS3 is fried, too I am going to have to do some serious soul searching and maybe go McCandless all over everybody's ass!

Totally forgot about my surround sound, too. Christ, I could end up looking at spending 2,000 just to get back to where I was, or 3,500 to get a little more. That 55" 120hz donut sounds enticing, though...although that might be too big.
« Last Edit: Jul 11, 2009, 09:27:59 PM by Beckmen » Logged

My Short Films
My DVD Collection

Shriners
Ultimate Member

Dressed for Success!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 11, 2009, 10:45:24 PM »

Becks, plug in your PS3 via HDMI.  When turning it on, keep holding the power button until it beeps multiple times, its like 7-10 seconds or so.  This will reset the PS3 and have it auto search your output, which should get you back up and running.  I hope this is your fix.

Gino
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 12, 2009, 09:32:18 AM »

One of the reason the SP can't be 100% is that you can fry your equpment even if they are not plugged in.
It's not as often the power surge as most people think.
It's the lightening EM pulse that kills your stuff.
If the strike is close enough it can wipe out your on board chips even unplugged from the wall.
There are some SP's out there that will pay the deductable. That's what I use.
Sorry to hear about the hit.
I happen to live in the actual, no joke, lightening capitol of the world, and so far...knock on wood, I've never gotten a damage hit.
cj

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 12, 2009, 10:22:38 AM »

Ummm..maybe before you worry about the TV, the warranty, your insurance policy etc, maybe you should go to the doctor?  I know people survive lightning strikes with no problems from time to time, but that much electricity can't be a good thing.  A trip to the emergency room today would probably be a good idea.

Hope you're feeling okay, and that the repair/replacement fees aren't too expensive.
Beckmen
Shriners
Ultimate Member

I'm a alien!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: Jul 12, 2009, 10:51:30 AM »

Doctor, schmocter. I am more interest in my quality-of-life than my life. I also kind of doubt that I was hit, but it would be a cool story to tell people. And maybe an excuse when I am acting like a total freak. "Hey! I was hit by lightning, whaddya want?"

That thing about the EM pulse is interesting, though.

My Short Films
My DVD Collection

Kedrix
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

*The Forgotten One*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: Jul 13, 2009, 06:33:26 AM »

Your electronics situation massively sucks....but seriously I'm with CJ on this one...go to the doctor!  Yeah it might be nothing, but it would be better to make sure.  Hopefully you are able to sort out the electronics side though. 

Michael Durr
aka
Kedrix of Aldrianian
(*The Forgotten One*)
cj

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 13, 2009, 06:50:37 AM »

I just know I had what only turned out to be only an ocular migrane (at the age of 29, after never having had a migrane) that caused me to see lightning like strikes across  my eyes and lose vision in my right eye for about 20 minutes.  I was so freaked out I didn't go to ready care until the next day.  They barely questioned me before sending me to the ER for scans.  One of the things that they emphasized though was that it was nothing to play around with and could have easily been a mild stroke.  When your body tries to tell you something, you need to respond.

YOU GOT HIT BY LIGHTNING!!!  GO TO THE DOCTOR!!!  Then you can say to me with medical verification "See, I told you I was fine."  And I know the only people who like saying "I told you so" more than women, are men  Wink
Mirage52
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jul 13, 2009, 07:47:42 AM »

Lightning storm killed my friend's TV...so that sucks.

Who's house? Run's house.
teedub
Shriners
Ultimate Member

Pop it to lock it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: Jul 13, 2009, 09:59:22 AM »

Glad to hear that you seem OK, Becks.  I had a similar situation happen with my computer once.  A lightning strike happened outside my bedroom window, and the power bar for my computer, jumped off the floor with a huge spark and melted.  Luckily I just had replace the power supply in the tower (and power bar), everything else was OK.

I give a +1 to getting checked out though.  You never can be too cautious.

I'm sure your insurance should cover the damage, no?

Beckmen
Shriners
Ultimate Member

I'm a alien!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: Jul 13, 2009, 10:36:26 AM »

Nah, don't have any insurance and the TV's warranty explicitly states that power surges and lightning damage are not covered.

My Short Films
My DVD Collection

teedub
Shriners
Ultimate Member

Pop it to lock it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: Jul 13, 2009, 10:38:48 AM »

Yikes.  Sorry about that, bro.

Beckmen
Shriners
Ultimate Member

I'm a alien!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: Jul 13, 2009, 05:23:53 PM »

OK, so if I have to buy a new TV, I need to figure out what I want. SO far, I know...

-Budget: About 1,700, preferable to spend less as this is my life savings I am dipping into
-LCD, probably. Burn-in is an issue, it needs to be small (thin) to fit into my apartment.
-Dot-by-Dot Res a must! I lived without overscan, I can't go back!
-Much prefer a glossy screen, I find images to be much sharper and more real and have the TV in a place where glare has never been an issue at all
-46-55" range
-I think I want this 120hz thing. Shouldn't need to be more than 120hz, though...the higher hz seem like overkill to me
-A small response time would be nice. I had sync issues with my Philips
-Viewing angle is important, often laid down to watch TV and the Philips looked awful unless you were in "the sweet spot". The TV had a particularly bad viewing angle problem, though
-At least three HDMI ports, as I was using three HDMI devices
-Not like I should have to say it, but...1080P. Also, don't think they make them without them,, but at least one Composite, one Component input.
-No crappy image-enhancing bollocks that can't be turned off. Stuff was atrocious on my Philips, but luckily they allowed you to turn it all off
-A decent black-level, but I prefer gray blacks to black crush. Nothing worse than an abyss of black and no shadow-detail
-Digital tuner or whatever would be pointless, I have cable and live in an area were over-the-air broadcasts don't even exist

Features I would like to have, but don't need:

-VGA
-PiP and POP
-OSD that features details like resolution, and tells you when the resolution has changed (like when BDs go from 1080p to 480p)
-A headphone jack would probably be pretty useful (and simpler than using the surround-sound's phones)

Kind of wish I could go over to Freak's house and check out his DLP! I am tempted to consider the tech, but without having sufficient access to one, it would be too much of a leap. Plus, they are maybe too big. I will probably be moving into a tiny space soon, and having a 60-75" TV 3 feet away from my face would either give me superpowers, or cancer...probably the latter. So yeah, DLP probably isn't a great idea.
« Last Edit: Jul 13, 2009, 05:42:15 PM by Beckmen » Logged

My Short Films
My DVD Collection

Beckmen
Shriners
Ultimate Member

I'm a alien!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: Jul 13, 2009, 07:31:26 PM »

Vizio is a brand that intrigues me. They are cheap, but I think they are more reliable than you might think. Then again, I hear stories about lemons. I guess that is what Service Plans are for, though I hear horror stories about them, as well.

But I was looking at this bad-boy in-store:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10993799

My Short Films
My DVD Collection

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: