Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
SMF - Just Installed!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: advice on headphones  (Read 6579 times)
cj

View Profile
« on: Jun 23, 2009, 06:48:55 AM »

So...I've now gone through three sets of headphones in about a year and a half, always due to the same thing..I damage the cord and lose volume to one ear.  I don't require the ultimate in sound or anything, but I thought that maybe someone here would know of a decent quality brand of headphones that will hold up to the tugging they'll be put through at the gym.  So far I've spent between 12-30 dollars and there really doesn't seem to be much of a quality difference at that level.  I'm willing to spend more if the cord will hold up.

Thanks for any input.
Mirage52
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Jun 23, 2009, 07:21:53 AM »

That sounds about the norm, cj. Especially if they are being used everyday during workouts, etc. I wouldn't spend any more than $15-20 on headphones that were going to be used like that. I would look into the Sony headphones that wrap around the outside of your ear. They dont fall out as often and because they stay snug in your ear you dont have to listen to music at high volumes.

Who's house? Run's house.
Beckmen
Shriners
Ultimate Member

I'm a alien!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: Jun 23, 2009, 05:05:30 PM »

I have two pairs of these babies: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=1957327

One for video recording (in my kit) and one for video editing. I like them, see no problems, and the cord is longer than most headphones. Not sure if it's more strong, but I think it's balanced, meaning there's two cords. Seem pretty sturdy to me.

My Short Films
My DVD Collection

"When you're pushed...killing's as easy as breathing."
cj

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 24, 2009, 05:05:21 AM »

Thanks for the input guys.  I was wondering if it was simply a wear and tear issue that would eventually damage any headphones.  I guess it just suprised me because prior to this I've never had to replace my headphones.  The set that game with my cd player lasted me years. 

On cord length I'm really torn.  I need something with some give to it because I'm moving a lot, but I'm also fighting to keep the excess from wrapping around the handles of the eliptical when I really get moving.  I thought I was going to strangle myself with the rowing machine the other day.  I think I may need to give up and get one of those arm band thingies for my MP3 player...hanging around my neck just isn't cutting it anymore.

Thanks again for the help.
darthmaulclone
Shriners

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 24, 2009, 02:32:23 PM »

I use Sennheisers personally but it is more for stopping a lot of outside noise as well. However I have only had them about 5 months so not sure if they will last a long time through all the rigors I put them through.

Another good thing to look at is using an arm band to put your player in with the cord coiled up and running over your shoulder to your ears. This way you will not catch them as your exercise.
Beckmen
Shriners
Ultimate Member

I'm a alien!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: Jun 24, 2009, 04:07:05 PM »

On cord length I'm really torn.  I need something with some give to it because I'm moving a lot, but I'm also fighting to keep the excess from wrapping around the handles of the eliptical when I really get moving.  I thought I was going to strangle myself with the rowing machine the other day. 

Twist ties. Wink

My Short Films
My DVD Collection

cj

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 25, 2009, 05:35:22 PM »

I broke the cords with my twisties:)  Every time I've replaced them the cord break has always been by one of my twisties.  I have my new set twisted onto the neck cord too hoping to reinforce it a little better and keep them from wiggling as much.  I just must be really bad at this because I never see anyone else at the gym having to unwind/untangle their headphones before getting on a machine.  I feel like I need to have a knot expert attending the elipticals:) I think I'll get one of the armbands this weekend, assuming one will fit around my fat arms.
Shriners
Ultimate Member

Dressed for Success!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jun 26, 2009, 02:29:56 PM »

...and so then you'll have a new gym goal.

Beckmen
Shriners
Ultimate Member

I'm a alien!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: Jun 26, 2009, 03:44:35 PM »

How does one make their arms skinnier at the gym? Seems kind of contradictory, then again whoever has seen me would know that I am not an expert in the athletic arts.

My Short Films
My DVD Collection

cj

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jun 26, 2009, 05:32:16 PM »

I was actually starting to see some definition in my arms from my weight-lifting class, then my right shoulder started giving me problems and my doctor said it was bursitis and gave me a one pound weight limit with no over-head extensions.  Kind of limited my opportunities for weight-lifting.  I've heard the rowing machine is good for toning the arms and legs and I've just started using that, so maybe I'll eventually be able to wear a tank top without showing off my old lady flab.
Shriners
Ultimate Member

Dressed for Success!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jun 26, 2009, 06:31:06 PM »

How does one make their arms skinnier at the gym? Seems kind of contradictory, then again whoever has seen me would know that I am not an expert in the athletic arts.

Easy, you excersize.  Burning calories = potential fat burn = potentially less arm fat.
Gyms are usually all inclusive, so its not just heavy weightlifting but cardio machines as well.  And even in weight lifting, it takes a buttload of training to get arms bigger in muscle than fatty arms and usually lifting very heavy.  Which I am sure cj is not doing but rather high-rep, low-weight toneing.

Rowing is good, and you could also look to see if your gym has one of those machines where you use your arms basically like you use your legs on a bicycle.  Its just two rotating handles that you hold and cycle your arms with.

Beckmen
Shriners
Ultimate Member

I'm a alien!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: Jun 26, 2009, 09:35:56 PM »

Using your arms = Less arm fat = more arm muscle = lateral move. Kids, this is a scientific factTongue

My Short Films
My DVD Collection

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: