Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
SMF - Just Installed!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alien prequel confirmed  (Read 7081 times)
Mirage52
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

View Profile
« on: Jun 01, 2009, 12:38:09 PM »

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/14279/tony-scott-confirms-alien-prequel/

Given that the Scotts are involved (hopefully not just for money), I do have some high hopes for this movie. They are going with a new music video director, but I think a prequel is about the only place you can go in the Alien franchise. Ripley's story has been done to death and Resurrection pretty much killed the series, although I enjoyed it.

I just hope it gets back to the grittiness of the first 2 films and is rated R.

Your thoughts?

Who's house? Run's house.
Beckmen
Shriners
Ultimate Member

I'm a alien!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: Jun 01, 2009, 04:31:37 PM »

Plenty of places to go other than a prequel. Personally, I want a reboot. New characters, and a new story that exists parallel to Ripley's adventures. Probably picking up after Aliens, but way before Rez. Weyland-Yutani needs to be involved.

But it'll probably suck. I mean....this is Fox we're talking about.

My Short Films
My DVD Collection

"When you're pushed...killing's as easy as breathing."
Mirage52
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 02, 2009, 09:12:28 AM »

I personally think that the prequel is the only way to go to make this any good. I hope they really try to tie this prequel into the original movie as much as possible. I want them to get back to the grittiness and terror of these creatures. I'd prefer the prequel to explain what happened with the  space jockey. That would also do away with the need for human characters.

Mirage52
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 02, 2009, 10:09:54 AM »

I just came up with a treatment for the prequel and where I'd like to see it go:

Alien Zero

With an ambitious approach to this prequel, I would prefer there to be no human characters in the film. The protagonists would be members of the Space Jockey Race (SJR), the large creature from ALIEN that was found dead inside its spaceship with alien eggs all around it. The SJR could speak English for the sake of not alienating audiences, but I would prefer subtitles.

Anyway ALIEN ZERO opens with a large full-scale war scene between the SJR and the aliens on the aliens’ home planet which looks like a barren wasteland with red skies and acid rivers. However, the aliens look much different than the ones we have seen in the original films with some similarities of course. More on this later…

Through some kind of explanation, we learn that the SJR need the alien planet’s energy sources to save their home planet, and the alien home planet is the closest resourceful planet to their own… however, it is still quite a distance away.

The SJR have won the war relatively easy, and have completely annihilated the entire alien race, save for a couple of facefuggers and adult aliens that were being kept alive as study subjects.  When the higher ups in the SJR army demand that the adult aliens and facehuggers be destroyed, a greedy military scientist figure takes a live facehugger with him for scientific research in hopes of becoming rich on his home planet (this would stay loyal to the “corporate or military greed” themes explored in the later movies).

As fleets upon fleets of SJR ships arrive to the alien home planet to start developing it, the scientific research SJR ship takes off to return to its home planet, with the facehugger aboard. Along the way, we are introduced to various characters on the ship. It is a small crew of maybe 10-12.

As the greedy scientist becomes more and more obsessed with the facehugger, he is attacked by it and is used as a host. He knows what will happen to him and the members of the ship, so he tells no one of what happened and kills himself, hoping that the alien inside of him will die too. Just as the SJR are about to launch the scientist’s body into outer space, the baby alien rips through the stomach and runs off, hiding in the ship.

Since the alien creatures take on the traits and features of their host, we learn that the SJR are what have given the alien from the original movie its features just like the dog in ALIEN3, the humanoid alien in RESURRECTION and the Predalien in AVP2.

One of the ship’s captains wants to destroy the ship and the crew to kill the creature and protect the race of their people, and most of the crew disagrees and wants to live, hoping to kill the creature themselves. A fight between the crew ensues and the ship crashes onto LV-426, a “dead planet” that the surviving crew hopes they can be rescued from once they destroy the alien creature on their ship. They send out a signal to their home planet for a rescue and the crew receives word that they will be rescued in a short time.

However the alien stalks them and kills off several members of the crew and the survivors realize that the alien is stronger than it was on its home planet since it has used the strong SJR as a host, which has made it a much more effective killing machine.

The alien breeds more creatures and ultimately the survivors realize that any rescue would just endanger their race. Since LV-426 is a dead planet, they hope that the aliens will be contained there and eventually die off. They tell the rescue ship to leave them to die and the rescue ship turns off the rescue signal and starts to transmit the beacon that the Nostromo picks up on in Alien.

The final scene of the film reads "500 YEARS LATER" and the Nostromo is seen entering the planet's orbit.

Shriners
Ultimate Member

Dressed for Success!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 03, 2009, 04:30:13 PM »

Well, if its a prequel, then we're pretty much garaunteed everyone dies right?  I mean, since no one knows about the aliens in the first one.

Movie Freak
Shriners
Ultimate Member

"And I thought they smelled bad on the outside!"

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 03, 2009, 08:06:59 PM »

Well, if its a prequel, then we're pretty much garaunteed everyone dies right?  I mean, since no one knows about the aliens in the first one.

DAMNIT CRON!!! You and your spoilers!!!  Grin

I know I don't say it enough, but I love you guys!
Mirage52
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 04, 2009, 09:04:58 AM »

I really dont know how they are going to get human characters into this film without it being contrived.

Mirage52
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jun 09, 2009, 07:22:37 AM »

From Dark Horizons:

Rinsch Out, Scott In For "Alien" Reboot?
By Garth Franklin Tuesday June 9th 2009 07:55AM
Rinsch Out, Scott In For "Alien" Reboot?

Over the last two weeks has came word of an "Alien" prequel in development with original director Ridley Scott and his brother Tony Scott serving as producer. The latter confirmed last week that commercial director Carl Erik Rinsch would be sitting in the director's chair.

Hold on a minute. According to Entertainment Weekly via Playlist, while the Scott's have given approval of Rinsch, 20th Century Fox apparently doesn't want to greenlit the film without Ridley himself at the helm.

Adding to the complications, Rinsch is apparently romantically involved with Ridley's daughter Jordan. Could the prequel be sunk before it has even got off the ground?

The more important question though, when is Fox going to set a date for the 'Alien Quadrilogy' Blu-ray boxset and will they properly remaster at least the first two films for the format, or screw it up like they did with the "Predator" Blu-ray?

If Ridley becomes the director that would shoot this prequel to the top of my "need to masturbate I'm so excited to see it" list.

Shriners
Ultimate Member

Dressed for Success!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jun 10, 2009, 03:10:55 PM »

Unfortunately that would be a smart decision on Fox's part....something they don't exactly have a great track record in.
« Last Edit: Jun 11, 2009, 04:51:42 PM by Cron » Logged

Mirage52
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jun 11, 2009, 07:26:43 AM »

It sounds like the Scotts are adamant about Rinsch helming though... so it sounds like this project could be headed for as bumpy road.

Mirage52
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Apr 26, 2012, 09:07:43 AM »

Haha...well Prometheus is what this all evolved into. Looks great...can't wait.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: