Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
SMF - Just Installed!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Problems with a disc...  (Read 12195 times)
Beckmen
Shriners
Ultimate Member

I'm a alien!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: Apr 30, 2009, 06:50:30 PM »

Hey, at least you got your money back... it could've been a nightmare.

I wouldn't buy a PS3 STRICTLY for watching Blu-rays. If you plan on gaming a lot with it, fine. I think the PS3 is nice, I just know it's limited for pure home theater enthusiasts. But I will shut up now, since I always seem to start a fight with the PS3 crowd that think I'm flaming their beloved machine, when I am only trying to set the record straight... it's not the best Blu-ray player, but its the most rounded entertainment box out there.

Stick with a stand alone player Ked. I think you should be able to find a good deal on a Sony S350 or another Sammy 1500.

No, Freak. You have to cite specific examples, otherwise it sounds like you're talking out of your ass. I am not saying you are wrong about the PS3, just back up your claims please.

Like, Gino...I haven't had any problems with BDs yet. OK, so I haven't played many discs...but Iron Man was one of them, and no problems there. Besides, if there are set-top players out there that boast features that the PS3 doesn't...I am curious to know.

My Short Films
My DVD Collection

"When you're pushed...killing's as easy as breathing."
Movie Freak
Shriners
Ultimate Member

"And I thought they smelled bad on the outside!"

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Apr 30, 2009, 08:23:43 PM »

There is one specific downside to the PS3's hardware that set-top players have an advantage... The PS3 cannot bitstream the new audio codecs. For anyone that wants their nextgen receiver to do the decoding, they're up crap creek without a paddle when using a PS3 as a Blu-ray player. Also the PS3 has problems with high res audio 24-bit/192kHz tracks when converting to PCM, some receivers output the PS3's converted signal to stereo, but when using bitstream the PS3 pulls the core Dolby or DTS tracks and it's downconverted to a lossy 16bit/96khz stream.

For some folks, they could care less about decoding, but for others it's a huge issue. I for one have always been a firm believer in the receiver handling all the decoding and a lot of HT geeks agree. But as I said, others could care less and that is ok too.

Also, the price is a drawback for anyone in the market for a player, some folks could care less about games or already have a 360.

So now that I have shown the shortcomings of the PS3 as a Blu-ray player, let me say for the last time, there is nothing wrong with it... it's just not the "second coming", "be all - end all" as some would have everyone believe.

I know I don't say it enough, but I love you guys!
Gino
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Apr 30, 2009, 11:11:20 PM »

Freak, you need to go to the Playstation Update pages and look at the specs.
I can decode any of the new codecs. The last update included DTS-MA 7.1 among others.
Mine does not down convert at all. My rec. verifies this. I'm getting the full uncompressed signal all the way to my rec.
I don't know where you're getting that from. Maybe it's a rec config problem for some. I don't know.
I have yet to run a disc that my PS3 didn't correctly ID and decode.
I get that info, not only from my rec. but the PS3 display.
I'm running it through an Onkyo TX-SR804 they both read the same speaker configs.
I don't know where you're getting that I can't decode new audio options.
Sounds pretty sweet from my end.
Again, I'm not a huge gamer. I only have 5 PS3 games total, but 200 BD's.
I have plans to buy a back-up standalone, because I can't afford to be down because of Upcomingdiscs.
But, I'm very happy with my PS3.
Gino
« Last Edit: Apr 30, 2009, 11:15:46 PM by Gino » Logged
Movie Freak
Shriners
Ultimate Member

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2009, 03:10:27 PM »

You misunderstood Gino, I didn't say it can't convert the new codecs, I said it can't bitstream them to a receiver to handle the decoding.

Gino
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2009, 04:38:04 PM »

You misunderstood Gino, I didn't say it can't convert the new codecs, I said it can't bitstream them to a receiver to handle the decoding.

Then call me ignorant. I don't understand.
If it can't send the codec to the rec, then you can't get it. How else would my receiver know what it is, if it's not getting it from the PS3.
I use a bitstream from my PS3 to my receiver. How else are you going to do it?
You either stream through the HDMI or the optical.
You can't get the codec stuff with RCA jacks.
I get every audio stream out there.
I guess I don't follow what you're trying to say.
Movie Freak
Shriners
Ultimate Member

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2009, 08:55:43 PM »

The only way the PS3 can send lossless/uncompressed audio to a receiver is by Multichannel PCM signal. So it's decoded/converted on the PS3, THEN sent to the receiver. Your receiver is not doing the decoding, the PS3 is. THAT was my point. In order for the receiver to do the decoding, the lossless codec must be bitstreamed, the PS3 hardware is not capable of this, it's a fact. Whatever you're tastes are, the PS3 is obviously working for you, so I don't understand your concern with my conversation with Becks. Thats why I said in my last few posts... there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with the PS3, it just can't bitstream lossless audio, it can convert it to PCM and send it that way, but then you don't have the option of using your receiver to do the decoding... WHICH IS FINE!!!  Cheesy

If you have your PS3 set to bitstream, then the only option for the PS3 is to send the lossy/compressed Dolby or DTS core track from the Blu-ray and your receiver will output it in Dolby 5.1 or DTS, but NOT TrueHD or DTS Master Audio.

I've never flamed the PS3, so if thats what you think I've done, you're mistaken.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: