Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
SMF - Just Installed!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Problems with a disc...  (Read 10941 times)
Kedrix
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

*The Forgotten One*

View Profile WWW
« on: Apr 28, 2009, 09:24:18 AM »

Well, after playing Dark Knight, Fantastic Four and X-Files: Fight the Future over the past weekend, my girlfriend tried out Sweeney Todd today on my Samsung BD-P1500...and got a no-go.  Does anybody else have this disc and have had any problems?  Just curious. 

Edit: my firmware is up 2 date.  Any ideas would be great.

2pm Edit: Got my girlie to try out the other 2 blu-ray discs that were unopened (Daredevil & Sleepy Hollow).  DD was a no go *sigh* but Sleepy Hollow played all the way thru.  So 6 discs tried...4 work fine, 2 are having issues.  I really don't know what to do.  I do have 6 discs in the mail from Amazon though (Resident Evil Trilogy, Ultimate Avengers, Basic Instinct, Stargate).  Ugh, this is so frustrating. 
« Last Edit: Apr 28, 2009, 01:27:38 PM by Kedrix » Logged

Michael Durr
aka
Kedrix of Aldrianian
(*The Forgotten One*)
Gino
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Apr 28, 2009, 02:38:19 PM »

Can't speak for the other titles, but Sweeny Todd played fine on my PS3.
So far I haven't had one stick yet on the PS3. I keep the updates going.
Wish I could be of more help.
Beckmen
Shriners
Ultimate Member

I'm a alien!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: Apr 28, 2009, 04:48:54 PM »

Yeah, that is shitty. Stupid HDCP and all that stupid firmware garbage is probably to blame. Rubbish. Greedy companies making buggy pieces of filth. This crap didn't happen with VHS, LD, or DVD. *shakes head*

Hmmm. Did you try power cycling the pig?

My Short Films
My DVD Collection

"When you're pushed...killing's as easy as breathing."
Kedrix
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

*The Forgotten One*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: Apr 28, 2009, 07:57:47 PM »

Thanks Gino and Beck, I do appreciate the responses. 

When I got home, I did play around with Daredevil and Sweeney Todd.  I finally got both to work, but it's so darn sketchy.  I could put a blu-ray disc (no problems on dvds so far) and it won't play at all.  Then I could take it out, put it back in and it will load.  There is no consistency.  Furthermore, some discs will play for an hour and then the audio will go out of sync (but if I take it out and put it back in, it will resume and be fine).  It's like the laser isn't precise enough or something.  I watched about 20 minutes of Daredevil, did the same thing with Sweeney Todd and then gave up and watched two regular episodes of the X-Men cartoons on old DVD and came in here.  Anybody think it's dirty perhaps?  Not sure what to think. 

Michael Durr
aka
Kedrix of Aldrianian
(*The Forgotten One*)
Movie Freak
Shriners
Ultimate Member

"And I thought they smelled bad on the outside!"

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 28, 2009, 09:35:43 PM »

After some investigation, those titles have no recorded problems on any brand of players. I would return the player, it's probably defective in some way.

I know I don't say it enough, but I love you guys!
Gino
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 28, 2009, 09:44:59 PM »

Actually technology has always been that way.
Sure the others did.
Remember VHS and tracking issues?
When DVD started there was the same problem of some discs not playing on some machines.
The first rental places used to have signs saying no refund for capatibility issues.
We just tend to forget those early road bumps once the media's been around a decade.
It's a pain. But it will get better.

You might think about taking it back for another model.
Good luck.
Gino
Beckmen
Shriners
Ultimate Member

I'm a alien!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: Apr 29, 2009, 06:43:56 AM »

I only remember tracking problems on VHS for stuff that wasn't studio-produced. Then again, the format was around for a long time when I first entered it in the early 90s.

DVD, I don't recall problems. I think I adopted in like 2000 or 2001, so maybe I dodged that as well. 

My Short Films
My DVD Collection

Kedrix
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

*The Forgotten One*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: Apr 29, 2009, 07:16:02 AM »

Thanks Freak (and again to Gino/Beck).  I did write the Ebay seller this morning.  It sucks, but i guess if I end up returning it, it is for the best.  I mean the discs obviously work and I really don't think the player's brand / type is bad, I just think I got a wonky unit.  *sigh*, it just sucks...I finally get the gumption and go out and buy a player and it feels like somebody (whether up above or what not) is pointing and laughing like haha, you thought you were going to get some sweet new technology. Welp, I'm sure this isn't the end of the story just yet.  We will see what happens. 

Michael Durr
aka
Kedrix of Aldrianian
(*The Forgotten One*)
Gino
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 29, 2009, 08:16:58 AM »

I only remember tracking problems on VHS for stuff that wasn't studio-produced. Then again, the format was around for a long time when I first entered it in the early 90s.

DVD, I don't recall problems. I think I adopted in like 2000 or 2001, so maybe I dodged that as well. 

Yeah in the early 80's certain tapes would give you lines at the bottom on certain players.
It never went away that what you recorded on one might not play well on another.
With DVD it was the mid 90's. Lost In Space was one of the first that would not play on certain players. I'm talking first and second gen units here. You have to remember that's where we are on Blu-ray. With even more tech, it takes a while to work out all of the bugs.
That's why the PS3 is one of the better players out there.
It's Sony's format, so they've had longer to work out the bugs.
It's got great update ability.
When I bought my PS3 we were still in the middle of the format wars. Sony was smart enough to sneak a quality player in its game system, in the hopes of sucking the gamers into the movie format as well.
It's funny how we seem to forget the growing pains of older technology.
Hell: phones, microwaves, televisions, even electricity itself was clunky in the beginning.
Ah the sweet smell of fried circuit boards in the morning..............................or was that someone's house burning down?
Kedrix
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

*The Forgotten One*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: Apr 29, 2009, 08:21:38 AM »

I do agree with Gino, it always seems like the current format is always the worst at compatibility.  We just forget that the previous format was just as bad at early adoption typically.  Alright, so I wrote the Ebay seller and here is what I got...what would you do?

Hi there... I am sorry about the situation. I do not have another one right now. You can either return it for a full refund or I can offer you a partial refund of $40 and you can keep it with it's current issues. Just let me know either way. Maybe it needs to be cleaned... I just don't know. Thanks.

Should I go with the Partial refund and keep messing with it?  Or should I go spend $20 bucks to ship it back for a full refund? 

Michael Durr
aka
Kedrix of Aldrianian
(*The Forgotten One*)
Beckmen
Shriners
Ultimate Member

I'm a alien!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: Apr 29, 2009, 09:17:52 AM »

Just get a frakkin' PS3! Gino and I haven't had any such problems. Wink

(I haven't even played any games on it in months, but use it daily as a BD player and media center)

My Short Films
My DVD Collection

Kedrix
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

*The Forgotten One*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: Apr 30, 2009, 07:55:36 AM »

Ha...well I might.  Who knows at this point.  I went ahead and bought one of those Blu-Ray specific lens cleaners by Maxwell and gave that a shot.  Just to tie up loose ends.  It didn't work (but at least I have one now I guess), didn't really think it would.  So it's going back to the vendor (who did offer a full refund) on Friday.  *sigh*, so close to Blu-Ray magic. 

Michael Durr
aka
Kedrix of Aldrianian
(*The Forgotten One*)
Movie Freak
Shriners
Ultimate Member

"And I thought they smelled bad on the outside!"

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Apr 30, 2009, 10:16:46 AM »

Hey, at least you got your money back... it could've been a nightmare.

I wouldn't buy a PS3 STRICTLY for watching Blu-rays. If you plan on gaming a lot with it, fine. I think the PS3 is nice, I just know it's limited for pure home theater enthusiasts. But I will shut up now, since I always seem to start a fight with the PS3 crowd that think I'm flaming their beloved machine, when I am only trying to set the record straight... it's not the best Blu-ray player, but its the most rounded entertainment box out there.

Stick with a stand alone player Ked. I think you should be able to find a good deal on a Sony S350 or another Sammy 1500.

I know I don't say it enough, but I love you guys!
Kedrix
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

*The Forgotten One*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: Apr 30, 2009, 12:29:20 PM »

It certainly could have been, because while Ebay will give you cheap crap....sometimes it will be just that...cheap crap.  I think I just got a wonky P1500. 

However, with that being said I think I'm going to wait for my money back first (give me a chance to reload and look around a bit).  Then I'm going to find something else, in a store somewhere and just buy that.  I'll look at the Sony S350 as suggested....I think you are also right about the stand alone.  My Xbox does a fantastic job for playing games and I really don't want another game machine right now. 

Thank you everybody again, it's tremendously appreciated. 

Michael Durr
aka
Kedrix of Aldrianian
(*The Forgotten One*)
Gino
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Apr 30, 2009, 01:42:54 PM »

Hey, at least you got your money back... it could've been a nightmare.

I wouldn't buy a PS3 STRICTLY for watching Blu-rays. If you plan on gaming a lot with it, fine. I think the PS3 is nice, I just know it's limited for pure home theater enthusiasts. But I will shut up now, since I always seem to start a fight with the PS3 crowd that think I'm flaming their beloved machine, when I am only trying to set the record straight... it's not the best Blu-ray player, but its the most rounded entertainment box out there.

Stick with a stand alone player Ked. I think you should be able to find a good deal on a Sony S350 or another Sammy 1500.

I'm not a big playstation cheerleader, but you're wrong. It is actually one of the best players out there.
It was one of the first older machines to update several new sound codecs.
The hard drive really helps with the BD live stuff.
I gotta tell you, I've had zero compatabilty troubles even when others have.
That's saying something because I get a lot of BD's pre-release before bugs show up.
Iron Man was one so many people had trouble that Paramount issued a replacement disc.
It worked fine for me right from the start.
You can put down playstation vs. XBox or Wii or whatever, but you're wrong if you say it's not a great player, particularly for the price.
Remember, that Sony was still in the format wars. Do you really think they'd put out a sub-par machine while trying to win converts from the gamer crowd.
As far as fitting into your system. What else do you want? What does a stand alone player offer, that the PS3 doesn't have?
I can tell you what the PS3 has that stand alone players don't (just have, I guess)
My 6 cents.
« Last Edit: Apr 30, 2009, 01:45:45 PM by Gino » Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: