Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
SMF - Just Installed!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Holy Jesus...NooOOoooOOooo  (Read 8253 times)
Shriners
Ultimate Member

Dressed for Success!

View Profile
« on: Mar 31, 2009, 12:22:54 PM »

So I get my Xbox 360 back today from good ol' Microsoft repair center.  When I open it up, it appears to be a brand new console with a manufacture date of Oct 2008.  Cool beans, I say. 
I then proceed to plug back in everything and go to recover my gamertag.  It gives me some error about the storage device.  A quick search on the internet shows that my profile is corrupt and all I need to do is delete it off the console and re-recover.  Done and done.  It goes smoothly and my gamertag is back up and running.

So I put in Brothers in Arms to get my "play a certain amount of days" achievement and notice that all the levels that are in the game are locked. 
Interesting, but I don't care because I'm done playing.

Then I put in Burnout......corrupted save.......Resident Evil 5.....corrupted save.........Street Fighter 4..........corrupted save.

..........yep.

Kedrix
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

*The Forgotten One*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: Mar 31, 2009, 12:40:01 PM »

Holy crap....that really sucks.  I would certainly call MS back even though they might not be able to provide you with jack in the help department.  I would suggest trying the deletion and re-entry again just in case it was an one-time occurrence. 

Michael Durr
aka
Kedrix of Aldrianian
(*The Forgotten One*)
Movie Freak
Shriners
Ultimate Member

"And I thought they smelled bad on the outside!"

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 31, 2009, 01:14:19 PM »

So I get my Xbox 360 back today from good ol' Microsoft repair center.  When I open it up, it appears to be a brand new console with a manufacture date of Oct 2008.  Cool beans, I say. 
I then proceed to plug back in everything and go to recover my gamertag.  It gives me some error about the storage device.  A quick search on the internet shows that my profile is corrupt and all I need to do is delete it off the console and re-recover.  Done and done.  It goes smoothly and my gamertag is back up and running.

So I put in Brothers in Arms to get my "play a certain amount of days" achievement and notice that all the levels that are in the game are locked. 
Interesting, but I don't care because I'm done playing.

Then I put in Burnout......corrupted save.......Resident Evil 5.....corrupted save.........Street Fighter 4..........corrupted save.

..........yep.

Shocked Sad Shocked Sad Cry Shocked

I know I don't say it enough, but I love you guys!
teedub
Shriners
Ultimate Member

Pop it to lock it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: Mar 31, 2009, 01:55:58 PM »

WHA?HuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuh??

That is HORRIBLE news, Cron.  Make some calls, hopefully get this sorted out.  Sounds like a hardware conflict, these saves worked just fine when you sent the box away.

Shriners
Ultimate Member

Dressed for Success!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 31, 2009, 04:06:22 PM »

A little update.

I get the impression it was all Far Cry 2's doing.  See there is a fairly widespread documented problem of the game saves freezing for that game in between 63%-90% completion.  Well this happened to me......twice.
Of course, this forces you to turn off your console, which I am sure is no good for the memory.

I put in Prince of Persia and CoD: WaW to check those gamesaves and they loaded up just fine.  I thought a little about it, and PoP and CoD were games I hadn't played in a while.  Most likely since before my Far Cry 2 save crashed on me, whereas SF4, RE5, and Burnout I had dabbled in after it happened.
So, I'm thinking that Far Cry freezes corrupted my hard drive on all future saves to it.

I have to wait to get home to boot up some of my other games I haven't played to check my theory, but it sounds like something that could happen.

All I know is that I am going to go buy a memory unit, transfer my profile and saves that I know are clean over, and format that HD.  This way I'll have back up of my saves in case this poop happens again.

So I guess this weekend I'll be re-unlocking all characters in Street Fighter and getting nowhere close to my awesome 235 online matches with 70% wins.  Burnout will be officially retired unfortunately.  I was looking to get back into it and finish off the 5 events I had left as well as the few billboards, gates, and jumps remaining, but I don't think I have to heart to start from scratch.

God, I hope my Rock Band 1 song transfers are okay, as I got rid of the disc long ago.

teedub
Shriners
Ultimate Member

Pop it to lock it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: Apr 01, 2009, 11:17:36 AM »

I backup my PS3 game saves to a USB flash drive, and my Wii saves to the SD card.  I've also been burned before, so I've learned my lesson.  I don't trust any HDD's, console or otherwise.  I can't wait for SSD's to come down in price.

Too bad about Burnout, that game still rules my world.  Inching towards the 101% completion...but I'll likely never get there.

Rock Band 1 you may be able to borrow from someone else, or at the very least rent it for the song transfers.

My heart is with you, Cron.  I know the feeling.

Kedrix
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

*The Forgotten One*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: Apr 01, 2009, 01:15:43 PM »

Cron: if needed, I have RockBand 1 (even though I have done the transfer too, I'm too much of a collector nerd)...and we can meet in town or I can come over or something.  We'll get ya taken care of if needed.  Good luck with the rest of it. 

Michael Durr
aka
Kedrix of Aldrianian
(*The Forgotten One*)
Shriners
Ultimate Member

Dressed for Success!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 01, 2009, 03:40:30 PM »

I got my memory card on order, should get it this weekend. 
I'm going to transfer over all my clean saves and then format the harddrive just to be sure nothing else gets corrupted.

I'll let ya know if I need your help with the disc Ked, thanks a bunch.

I'm kinda curious how much DLC I have that will need to be redownloaded.  Never really kept track.

teedub
Shriners
Ultimate Member

Pop it to lock it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: Apr 03, 2009, 02:50:13 PM »

With any luck there should be a log of purchases youve made (Wii and PS3 are excellent with that), so it shouldn't be problem finding any DLC you may have lost.

Shriners
Ultimate Member

Dressed for Success!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Apr 03, 2009, 03:04:24 PM »

Yea, its all in my purchase history.  I'm going through it now.  Xbox has been downloading since about noon, and its 4 right now.

Mirage52
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Apr 13, 2009, 02:41:26 PM »

Wow... these new consoles seem to be more problem than they are worth.

/returns to playing GTA... the original one.

Who's house? Run's house.
Kedrix
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

*The Forgotten One*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: Apr 13, 2009, 03:17:15 PM »

Heh, actually the PS2 slim (so you can at least play somewhat more recent GTA games  Wink) is the most dependable console I've seen in recent years.  Mine has been performing for a while now with no problems at all *knock on wood*.  But you are right, I worry often about my 360....at some point they will drop support.  Then if it breaks down at that point, I'll be left with a bunch of games and possibly no way to play them.  Hopefully, that won't be for a long time. 

Michael Durr
aka
Kedrix of Aldrianian
(*The Forgotten One*)
teedub
Shriners
Ultimate Member

Pop it to lock it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: Apr 13, 2009, 08:38:46 PM »

Sounds like the new "Jasper" chipset will be much more reliable.  If anyone's looking to replace their 360 I'd recommend seeking out one of these.

Kedrix
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

*The Forgotten One*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: Apr 14, 2009, 06:13:40 AM »

I've heard good things about the Jasper too...I got my original 2 1/2 years ago and its been repaired twice...hopefully they did it right this last time around.  I really would like to think that this sucker would at least last for a little while. 

Michael Durr
aka
Kedrix of Aldrianian
(*The Forgotten One*)
Shriners
Ultimate Member

Dressed for Success!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Apr 14, 2009, 06:35:20 PM »

The 360 is without a doubt one of the worst manufactured console hardware, if not the worst.
But the interface, games, Live is so good, I will keep coming back.

It will be nice when they release a new system though, as I garauntee they'll be learning from this generation.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: