Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
SMF - Just Installed!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wii - no longer a 2gb limit for SD cards....*gasp*  (Read 6053 times)
Kedrix
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

*The Forgotten One*

View Profile WWW
« on: Mar 25, 2009, 12:38:39 PM »

http://www.411mania.com/games/news/100301/New-Nintendo-Wii-System-Menu-Update,-Virtual-Console-Update,-SD-Cards-and-More.htm

32gb SD Cards can be used with the Wii, about *beeping* time.  I mean it still isn't a hard drive but at least you don't have to carry a cache of sd cards now.  Finally something of interest to me about the Wii. 

BTW, 32gb cards go for about $80-$100.  Hrmmm...maybe in time that will get better. 

Michael Durr
aka
Kedrix of Aldrianian
(*The Forgotten One*)
teedub
Shriners
Ultimate Member

Pop it to lock it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: Mar 25, 2009, 12:47:19 PM »

If you're able to boot programs off the SD card, then I'm sold.  Otherwise...I'm still not satisfied.  My Wii is full, and I'm very picky about my purchases.  I'm looking to get two WiiWare games this weekend, but am not into deleting anything to make room.

Kedrix
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

*The Forgotten One*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: Mar 25, 2009, 01:15:54 PM »

It does look like you will be able to boot off the card.  I don't blame you for being picky about purchases.  I would be too, hence why I've been awfully hesitant about picking up a Wii.  The amount of VC I would purchase (most of the TG16 library to this point for starters) would be pretty insane, especially with a 32gb to play with. 

Michael Durr
aka
Kedrix of Aldrianian
(*The Forgotten One*)
Shriners
Ultimate Member

Dressed for Success!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 25, 2009, 03:53:20 PM »

Not bad....with a 32GB SD card you could potentially have more space than some 360s and PS3s.  For me though, its too little too late.  I already pretty much lost interest in buying old games through the VC now, and don't really see myself going back to it.  My poor Wii hasn't been even turned on once since probably No More Heroes came out.

Beckmen
Shriners
Ultimate Member

I'm a alien!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: Mar 25, 2009, 04:02:22 PM »

Were they limiting it to stop people from putting full Wii games on the cards?

My Short Films
My DVD Collection

"When you're pushed...killing's as easy as breathing."
Shriners
Ultimate Member

Dressed for Success!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 25, 2009, 06:00:40 PM »

It's just one more ass-backwards Nintendo practices that never made much sense.  I don't think it had to do with Wii titles, more to do with Virtual Console and WiiWare titles, and DLC.  I'm sure have open access to  something like an SD card makes it easier to pirate things, but the problem came in that you could play anything off the SD card.  So essentially once your 512MB of interal storage ran out, you would have to delete something off your system to move it over from the SD card before using it.

teedub
Shriners
Ultimate Member

Pop it to lock it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: Mar 25, 2009, 09:49:13 PM »

Booting off the SD is still a little wonky.  It still has to load the game onto the Wii's memory to play it, so if you don't have enough free space available to store the program on the Wii memory, you won't be able to boot it.  It's actually not a HUGE deal, just something to be aware of.  It will write over the temporary file if you want to boot something else off the card.  It just means you need to leave a few blocks available on the Wii memory at all times, which is now made easier by the SD Card menu.

I've actually gotten back into the Wii after getting MadWorld and now World Of Goo.  Might even finish Mega Man 9 one of these days...

Kedrix
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

*The Forgotten One*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: Mar 26, 2009, 06:28:04 AM »

But at least you can do it.  It will be easier for people who just got their Wii or what not.  I already started looking at my daily email from Buy.com at SD cards.  *sigh*.  We'll see.  Blu-Ray comes first though. 

Michael Durr
aka
Kedrix of Aldrianian
(*The Forgotten One*)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: