Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
SMF - Just Installed!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Feature Forum Rules and Expansion  (Read 12343 times)
Gino
Administrator

View Profile
« on: Mar 15, 2009, 04:48:33 PM »

I would like to announce a major expansion to the Feature Forum.
I recognize that for years many of you have enjoyed these forums and it has become a club, of sorts to you.
Unfortunately, these activities often appear harsh or offensive to anyone outside of your group.
We have been growing Upcomingdiscs by leaps and bounds lately.
That means new folks wanting to participate in the forums.
It has come to my attention that it has been difficult, at times, for these newbies to break through the long standing group.
After considering many options, I believe I have found a way to make everyone happy.
Starting now there will be a special access for a group called Shriners.
As Shriners you will have access to a new area of the forum, called New Amsterdam.
Fans of The Wire know what that means.
In short, it is a “no rules” area of the forum. Of course, I expect you to follow laws in what you post.
Here you can use whatever language you wish and govern yourselves.
This area will not be viewable to non members. You will need access to participate.
In return for this playground, I am going to ask you to respect 2 rules in the general area of the forums from here on out. I hope that you will continue to share your related conversations in the public area of the forums. The two new rules are pretty simple:

1.   Please do not hijack threads. Keep your posts relevant. There is plenty of room in the Off Topic area to cover anything else you wish to discuss here. Plus, you now have New Amsterdam.

2.   Please limit your language to civil conversation. We’d like families to feel comfortable here. That means being civil to others who post here. Not everyone knows when your just messing around.

I have added many of your names to the Shriner group already.
You should now see the New Amsterdam topic available to you.
I can add topics inside there as you request them.
If you do not have access to New Amsterdam, and want to have it, either E-Mail or PM me your request.
I will get it to you as soon as I can.
Over the course of the next few days I will be cleaning up the public area.
I will delete posts that do not conform to the new rules.
You may repost them in New Amsterdam.

I hope that you will consider this a chance to grow our forums into something much larger than it is.

Thank you for your support as I move forward to develop both Feature Forum and Upcomingdiscs.
Take Care,
Gino

jfrost
Shriners

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: Mar 15, 2009, 04:56:22 PM »

Great idea Gino.  I think you are definitely driving the forum in the right direction.  The for the main area of the forum to flourish, we need to make new members welcome so they stick around long enough to contribute on a regular basis.  This New Amsterdam section allows the old school Shrine Crowd a place where they can be as off the wall (and as off-side) as they wish.

Keep up the great work Gino... it looks like I have left the forum in the right hands!

Hey Shriners - Let me leave you with one thought for you new dedicated section... CLACKER!!!!
Kedrix
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

*The Forgotten One*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: Mar 15, 2009, 05:13:15 PM »

Tis true a lot more traffic is coming to Upcomingdiscs and even the forum.  Not just housewives who want to win free dvds either.  I like our old crowd, but we could stand to include a few more members into this drinking club.  Gino has been taking initiative and it is starting to show.  Look at the traffic this month alone, there is hope.  I want to stay here and I want to keep writing (but perhaps more geared towards gaming  Grin), so keep up the good work folks but lets give this idea a shot and see how it pans out.  *shrug*, what do we got to lose? 

Michael Durr
aka
Kedrix of Aldrianian
(*The Forgotten One*)
Movie Freak
Shriners
Ultimate Member

"And I thought they smelled bad on the outside!"

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 15, 2009, 05:27:44 PM »

I like our old crowd, but we could stand to include a few more members into this drinking club. 

I don't know of any forum that is "easy" to become a part of these days since there are so many trolls out there. BUT, this could be the idea that gives us independence/freedom yet welcomes those wanting to explore the public side with little possibility of attack or slander.

FYI, I noticed that Shriners is spelled "Shiners" under our profiles... not a big deal, only a slight chance Cleve might start beating his girlfriend "AKA, his left hand" again, if he sees that.

I know I don't say it enough, but I love you guys!
Gino
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 15, 2009, 05:37:52 PM »

FYI, I noticed that Shriners is spelled "Shiners" under our profiles... not a big deal, only a slight chance Cleve might start beating his girlfriend "AKA, his left hand" again, if he sees that.

I'll try to get that fixed, sorry :-(
Shriners
Ultimate Member

Dressed for Success!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 15, 2009, 08:12:36 PM »

Will there be any notification of deleted posts?

Please leave my topic that replicates R. Kelly's modern masterpiece "I Believe I Can Fly" as it is of particular importance to me.

Gino
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 15, 2009, 08:42:09 PM »

Will there be any notification of deleted posts?

Please leave my topic that replicates R. Kelly's modern masterpiece "I Believe I Can Fly" as it is of particular importance to me.

There's nothing in that topic that breaks my 2 rules.
It's in an appropriate place and it doesn't cross the line in language or abuse.
I will only delete posts that break those 2 rules.
You're fine, Cron.
I don't know why you guys think I'm out to destroy everything.

In answer to your question, no there will be no notification.
This is going to take maybe weeks as it is.
I would love to notify, but it's just too much work.
If you want to protect a post, look over your own posts.
If it breaks the 2 rules, it will go.
If it doesn't, it stays.
I want you guys to keep participating in the normal forums.
I'll say it again. YOU ARE NOT RESTRICTED TO NEW AMSTERDAM!!!!
No one's being loaded on a train and shuffled off to a concentration camp.
I'm merely asking you to respect my new rules on the open forum.
Is that really asking so much?
And in case you won't/can't I've given you a place to let loose.
What else can I do?

Thank you to those who do understand and have expressed support.

Please feel free to contact me directly if you wish to talk it over further.
Gino
teedub
Shriners
Ultimate Member

Pop it to lock it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: Mar 15, 2009, 11:16:16 PM »

Just wanted to voice my support and thanks to Gino for setting us up in our new digs. (+)

Shriners
Ultimate Member

Dressed for Success!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Mar 16, 2009, 12:06:48 AM »

See, now I feel bad.
The first was a legitimate question, because I was curious, and the last bit was a little humdinger I threw together for laughs.

Gino, I just want to say officially for the record, I appreciate what you're doing, and there is no bad thoughts or problems with whats happening.  It sounds like a good plan and its nice to see that you are trying to do your thing with the site, while still looking out for us.
I'm sure I don't speak for only myself when I say no one here even remotely thinks you're displacing us or destroying anything.  Keep it up, its all good man.

Mirage52
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Mar 16, 2009, 07:52:37 AM »

It's "Hamsterdam"... but I'll let that infraction pass. At any rate, I think this is a great idea and I'd love some new blood around here.

Who's house? Run's house.
Gino
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Mar 16, 2009, 06:57:08 PM »

You know, you're right about Hamsterdam, oh well.
I saw a funny post where someone used the word poo.
You can say shit and damn. Just stay away from the F Bombs and anatomy descriptions.
Gino
Movie Freak
Shriners
Ultimate Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Mar 16, 2009, 11:23:33 PM »

You can say shit and damn. Just stay away from the F Bombs and anatomy descriptions.
Gino

I said poo... which (quite funny actually) is an anatomy description... ha! I WIN!!!

Gino
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Mar 16, 2009, 11:44:55 PM »

Gino

I said poo... which (quite funny actually) is an anatomy description... ha! I WIN!!!

Actually poo is something that comes out of your anatomy, not actually a part of it.
Any way you look at it, you can be a little more colorful than that, unless that was exactly the word you were looking for.
In which case, I stand corrected.

I do wish to extend my gratitude to those of you who are really trying to make this work.
Movie Freak
Shriners
Ultimate Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Mar 16, 2009, 11:53:49 PM »

Gino

Actually poo is something that comes out of your anatomy, not actually a part of it.
Any way you look at it, you can be a little more colorful than that, unless that was exactly the word you were looking for.
In which case, I stand corrected.

I do wish to extend my gratitude to those of you who are really trying to make this work.

This is what I love about forums, lengthly chats about poo, what a fantastic word... and the fact that you noticed it, makes me happy.

And yes, it was very intentional, shit gets boring, so do F-bombs, poo brings us back to the playground, where I plan to be until they close my casket.

Kedrix
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

*The Forgotten One*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: Mar 17, 2009, 03:33:17 PM »

An idea, perhaps we need a forum section at the top of the page when they login where new people can tell each a little bit about themselves, to try to welcome them.  Lock the category so that is the only post but try to present a friendly atmosphere that we are trying to let new people in.  I dunno, maybe it is a stinky idea like poo.   Grin

Michael Durr
aka
Kedrix of Aldrianian
(*The Forgotten One*)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: