Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
SMF - Just Installed!

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Watchmen  (Read 15862 times)
Movie Freak
Shriners
Ultimate Member

"And I thought they smelled bad on the outside!"

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Feb 20, 2009, 10:25:13 PM »

BWAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

I know I don't say it enough, but I love you guys!
Justin Cleveland
« Reply #16 on: Mar 02, 2009, 07:07:26 PM »

I can't say I've heard of this film. Is it based on the real-life adventures of a group of watch makers?
Shriners
Ultimate Member

Dressed for Success!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Mar 02, 2009, 09:50:24 PM »

Yea, they pushed it back because they didn't want to go head to head with the movie about the guy who created fucking windshield wipers.

Kedrix
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

*The Forgotten One*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: Mar 04, 2009, 08:33:48 AM »

A couple of deals going on at best buy if you want to see this movie free.  If you buy any Xbox Live product or console, you get a Watchmen package with 2 free tickets and some Watchmen downloadable content from Live.  The other deal is buy the Motion comic on dvd/blu-ray and get one ticket for free.  I believe also from Best Buy if you buy either of the first two Matrix movies or Constatine  you also can get a ticket. 

Michael Durr
aka
Kedrix of Aldrianian
(*The Forgotten One*)
Mirage52
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Mar 05, 2009, 02:31:06 PM »

Although most of the reviews are positive, even the positive ones aren't exactly glowing. We knew this movie would be hard to make and that it would basically divide fans of the book, but I have to say that I am somewhat let down by the reviews. I will be there tomorrow night and I am excited to see it, but my expectations will be lowered after reading some of the reviews.

Who's house? Run's house.
Kedrix
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

*The Forgotten One*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: Mar 05, 2009, 04:09:11 PM »

I still want to see the movie despite any reviews (especially those before the movie opens).  And hey I got free tickets, what's not to like  Grin?

Michael Durr
aka
Kedrix of Aldrianian
(*The Forgotten One*)
Mirage52
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Mar 05, 2009, 04:15:10 PM »

Looks like I spoke too soon...

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090304/REVIEWS/903049997

Movie Freak
Shriners
Ultimate Member

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Mar 05, 2009, 05:25:35 PM »

Looks like I spoke too soon...

It's ok, nonbeliever, we still love you.  Wink

Beckmen
Shriners
Ultimate Member

I'm a alien!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: Mar 07, 2009, 06:35:59 PM »

I still never read the GN, but saw the movie last night. I really liked it. Well written, well-shot, and for the most part well-acted. Rorschach is awesome. It's dark, thoughtful, and brutal. I probably give it a A- or an A.

Maybe I will borrow the GN from a friend and check it out. The original ending sounds interesting.

My Short Films
My DVD Collection

"When you're pushed...killing's as easy as breathing."
cj

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Mar 07, 2009, 11:22:08 PM »

I have to say, I didn't hate it.  From me that's a ringing endorsement:)
Definitely one of those movies that is not my thing, but that I can appreciate.  We saw it on IMAX tonight and it was beautiful and purposeful. Definitely not a child appropriate movie though.  My God, you'd think parents have forgotten that movies had ratings.
Movie Freak
Shriners
Ultimate Member

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Mar 08, 2009, 01:33:13 AM »

Went to see it tonight. Masterful work, beautiful and almost exact in detail for the most fastidious of fans.

I give it ****1/2 out of *****, the half star was because I didn't agree with all of the choices of music for the score, which can be pretty important for some scenes... but other than that, this Watchmen fan was 100% satisfied.

A true vision of live action comic performance, to be so true to the source... it was like getting a $100 blowjob, but the whore gives you $80 back because she likes the taste of your jizz... yes, that good.  Wink

Mirage52
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Mar 09, 2009, 08:03:18 AM »

I think the movie reflected what I didn't like about the book, IE, the plot is an afterthought to the backstory of the characters and the messages that are hammered home. Does the movie remain faithful to the book? YES!!! But does that make it a good movie? I'm not sure. I walked out of the theater disappointed, but over time I have come to appreciate some things that the movie did. But it didn't do enough on its own to differentiate itself from the book. I mean really, the movie was like reading about 4/5 of the book within a span of 2.5 hrs. There is no suspense because we know that every panel from the book has been used in the movie, with very little being changed.

I've had a problem lately with movies that remain too faithful to the book (The Da Vinci Code, Kite Runner). They both felt rushed because they have to squeeze all the scenes from the book into the movie without letting individual scenes breathe on their own. And it restricts the director from injecting his own vision into the movie. Anyone could have directed Watchmen if they had the book sitting in front of them.

Initially, I was sitting at ** or **1/2 out of **** but in hindsight I'm thinking of upgrading my score to ***. Maybe I'll wait until after viewing the director's cut on DVD.

Kedrix
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

*The Forgotten One*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: Mar 09, 2009, 08:30:18 AM »

Hrmmm, interesting.  I've heard meh and I've heard awesome from friends of mine who saw it over the weekend.  Sarah and myself will go see it this weekend since we don't like 1st week crowds typically.  I'm still not sure what to think but I am interested due to the diversity of reviews I've seen. 

Michael Durr
aka
Kedrix of Aldrianian
(*The Forgotten One*)
Mirage52
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Mar 09, 2009, 09:52:28 AM »

I guess I am having a hard time with the movie because it's exactly like the book. There is not much of a difference between the two. So people should just read the book in the format in which it was intended.

Now that I have seen it I think the ideas about moving it to present day (Bush's regime) and changing some of the themes would have shown how timeless the story really is and given Snyder or another director more of a chance to make it their own. By keeping the movie in 1985, I think the movie is a relic in relation to the nuclear war themes, through no fault of its own.

Shriners
Ultimate Member

Dressed for Success!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Mar 09, 2009, 11:42:59 AM »

Went to see it tonight. Masterful work, beautiful and almost exact in detail for the most fastidious of fans.

I give it ****1/2 out of *****, the half star was because I didn't agree with all of the choices of music for the score, which can be pretty important for some scenes... but other than that, this Watchmen fan was 100% satisfied.

A true vision of live action comic performance, to be so true to the source... it was like getting a $100 blowjob, but the whore gives you $80 back because she likes the taste of your jizz... yes, that good.  Wink

Would a 5 out of 5 be a full refund?

Anyway, I enjoyed it.  It lost some steam towards the end but overall very good.  I really enjoyed the themes, and the Bob Dylan intro was one of the coolest I've seen.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: