Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
SMF - Just Installed!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection - PS3/360 (Phantasy Star I-IV!!)  (Read 27174 times)
teedub
Shriners
Ultimate Member

Pop it to lock it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: Mar 03, 2009, 03:53:23 PM »

Alex Kidd was the easiest, but some of them are deceptively challenging.  Flicky is what a classic game should be: simple game mechanics, and tough as nails.  Pure awesome, it's one of my favourites on the disc.  It's simple enough that anyone can play it, but it would take a lot of dedication to master.

This disc is geared directly at our demographic, and is hopefully garnering the success it deserves.

Classic gaming FTW.

Shriners
Ultimate Member

Dressed for Success!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Mar 03, 2009, 05:15:45 PM »

That's another thing.  I was never a Genesis kid, so most of these games don't really hold a special part of my heart.  Vectorman was indeed the shit though.  I remember playing the demo kiosk at Toys R Us everytime I went.

Trophies/Achievements are indeed one of the best/worst things to happen to gaming.

teedub
Shriners
Ultimate Member

Pop it to lock it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: Mar 04, 2009, 09:14:34 AM »

If you don't have a soft spot for any Genesis titles, then this compilation is likely not for you.  Growing up in a Genesis family, this is just an incredible collection, though.

Trophies do extend play value for some games, but they can be a distraction for others.  Don't want to get too OT here, but I've become a little OCD when it comes to these meaningless virtual awards.

I remembered that I also had some real problems with Comix Zone, that's gotta be the toughest first level in the history of games.
« Last Edit: Mar 04, 2009, 09:30:16 AM by teedub » Logged

Mirage52
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Mar 04, 2009, 09:58:32 AM »

Must... get... PS... 3

Who's house? Run's house.
Kedrix
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

*The Forgotten One*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: Mar 04, 2009, 10:57:42 AM »

Haha Mirage, or a 360  Tongue  I was fortunate to be an only child and grew up with a lot of systems.  Genesis was always a favorite of mine and this is turning back the clock for me.  I haven't touched Comix Zone just yet, but I did play Decapattack yesterday and I don't remember the jumping being so GD ridiculous.  It is tough, but like I said, fun.  I can't wait to play the Phantasy Stars again, I already unlocked PS1 though I'm not sure if I want to go through the torture of mapping or trying to remember the dungeons. 

Michael Durr
aka
Kedrix of Aldrianian
(*The Forgotten One*)
teedub
Shriners
Ultimate Member

Pop it to lock it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: Mar 04, 2009, 11:07:14 AM »

Decap Attack is pretty fun, I love his run animation.  The Genesis music is really unique all-around, it's got "that sound" to it.  I had a really tough time with Gain Ground, seems like a busted RTS at first glance.  I might have to give it an honest try at Ked's suggestion.  Bonanza Bros was one I laughed at when it started, but it's got some great arcadey gameplay.  Comix Zone needs a good remake, it's such a smart and innovative game.  I'm not even much of a comic book fan, but busting through panels and jumping down the page seemed really innovative, even now.

Mirage.  Do it.  PS3.  Cheesy

Kedrix
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

*The Forgotten One*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: Mar 04, 2009, 11:17:32 AM »

Here is what Gain Ground so interesting to me (mind you I did play it in the arcade before the genesis version ever came out), it does implore a lot of strategy.  Every stage is a little different and you have a lot of guys to eventually choose from.  But the trick is that a lot of the stages can be made easier if you implore the right guy or gal.  The biggest thing....keep everybody alive.  There are some awesome characters that you will need in the last ten stages and if you get them killed off early, you are in trouble.  I have beaten the game, but it takes a lot of work.  It's a very well kept secret of a game. 

Michael Durr
aka
Kedrix of Aldrianian
(*The Forgotten One*)
Kedrix
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

*The Forgotten One*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: Mar 06, 2009, 09:04:32 AM »

Review be up  Grin

http://upcomingdiscs.com/2009/03/06/sonics-ultimate-genesis-collection/

Michael Durr
aka
Kedrix of Aldrianian
(*The Forgotten One*)
Kedrix
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

*The Forgotten One*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: Mar 09, 2009, 10:00:04 AM »

Since and during the review, I've got a few more achievements.  Up to 14(of 34) or 360/1000. According to mygamercard.net, the average is 250ish.  So I'm already above the norm.  Still stuck on Flicky, though I am getting better.  I did finally get Columns though, wow that was crazy.  My real current sticking point is Mean Bean Machine as I am sure some of you might have guessed.  I can get up to level 5, but after that it doesn't take many moves to make me all toasty.  Any ideas? 

Michael Durr
aka
Kedrix of Aldrianian
(*The Forgotten One*)
teedub
Shriners
Ultimate Member

Pop it to lock it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: Mar 09, 2009, 11:15:33 AM »

My stumbling block for MBM was Level 10.  I just kept getting bad runs of unusable pieces.  No real advice other than practice, sorry.  Sad

I'm surprised the average is that low (not to take away from your accomplishments), but I suppose that there's a vast majority that are still just playing 5-10 minutes here and there.

Kedrix
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

*The Forgotten One*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: Mar 09, 2009, 11:36:17 AM »

Or maybe you just haven't come to the realization that you are a gaming gawd  Wink.  Seriously though, I think the way a lot of people are playing this collection is playing this as a casual thing, inbetween sessions of COD, GTA, etc.  The good thing is that 250 is still rising.  It was just over 200 when I started playing.  I think it will cap out at about 300. 

MBM does seem to be a game of good run/bad run.  I'll keep plugging though, thank goodness for Sonic UGC's save states. 

Michael Durr
aka
Kedrix of Aldrianian
(*The Forgotten One*)
teedub
Shriners
Ultimate Member

Pop it to lock it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: Mar 09, 2009, 12:33:41 PM »

No doubt!  Save states are a welcome addition, but it really puts "modern vs classic gaming" into perspective.  "Back in MY day, we COULDN'T save our game!  We had to play through it in ONE sitting!"

Super Mario 3 was the most insane for this.  The game was HUGE, and if you wanted to play through without warping, you'd have to leave it paused overnight a few times over.  Kids nowadays have no idea how good they have it.  Wink

Keep hammering away at MBM, you'll get it eventually.  And I wouldn't consider myself "great" at games, but I have been playing them for my whole life.  Though, I'll take on any fool at Tetris.  Cheesy

I'm pretty sure you'll be able to hit 1000 on this one.  If you're as much of a gaming nut as I think you are, it'll happen.  Good luck with Comix Zone, though.  Yikes!

Kedrix
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

*The Forgotten One*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: Mar 09, 2009, 01:21:03 PM »

I haven't even tried Comix Zone yet, I think you scared me off *smirk*.  1000...geez, I dunno.  Over 500 sure.  Heck I already got one of the "extra" achievements by watching all of the interviews.  If you examine my achievements, for the most part it is all games I've played on Genesis.  A lot of the ones left are for games I never touched.  So I have to learn the game and then learn to be good at it. 

Michael Durr
aka
Kedrix of Aldrianian
(*The Forgotten One*)
teedub
Shriners
Ultimate Member

Pop it to lock it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: Mar 09, 2009, 06:03:16 PM »

Go Ked Go!  Go Ked Go!

Every time this thread gets a new post, I get all giddy.

Kedrix
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

*The Forgotten One*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: Mar 09, 2009, 07:41:59 PM »

Hehe, I will I will!  To think I almost moved this thread to My Review section.  But it keeps getting posts which is hella cool with me.  May people enjoy the wonder of Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection!!!

Michael Durr
aka
Kedrix of Aldrianian
(*The Forgotten One*)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: