Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
SMF - Just Installed!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection - PS3/360 (Phantasy Star I-IV!!)  (Read 26646 times)
Kedrix
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

*The Forgotten One*

View Profile WWW
« on: Jan 14, 2009, 12:17:45 PM »

Phantasy Star I-IV for the first time together on one disc and on US Shores….it looks awesome.  I've heard good things about this disc so far and this might be the icing on the cake.

PS Screens
http://www.411mania.com/games/news/94413/Phantasy-Star-Screens.htm

Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic%27s_Ultimate_Genesis_Collection

February can't come soon enough!

Michael Durr
aka
Kedrix of Aldrianian
(*The Forgotten One*)
Kedrix
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

*The Forgotten One*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: Feb 10, 2009, 12:37:15 PM »

This came out today, anybody going and getting this one?  I might, but I'll probably hold out until Friday when I'm out and about.

Michael Durr
aka
Kedrix of Aldrianian
(*The Forgotten One*)
teedub
Shriners
Ultimate Member

Pop it to lock it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2009, 10:49:02 PM »

I am ALL over this one.  I was thinking I may get it for my birthday in March, but I don't think I can wait.  I've already got the Genesis collection for PS2, but this edition has twice the games.  I think it's worth the upgrade.  Count me IN!

Kedrix
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

*The Forgotten One*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2009, 08:10:33 AM »

I will probably get it today, either @ Fry's or Best Buy.  It's awesome looking, all the Phantasy Stars, all the Streets of Rage, Achievements (or trophies in PS3's case) , and way more for a measly $29.99 price tag. 

Michael Durr
aka
Kedrix of Aldrianian
(*The Forgotten One*)
teedub
Shriners
Ultimate Member

Pop it to lock it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: Feb 13, 2009, 09:59:16 AM »

You and I are both complete suckers for these compilation discs, Ked.  I think I'll forgo waiting the 5 weeks until my birthday, and get this for the weekend.

Kedrix
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

*The Forgotten One*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: Feb 13, 2009, 10:49:57 AM »

BTW, for those close to a Fry's, $24.99 thru Tuesday.  Also, some of you get Best Buy coupons in the mail for 10% off, there was one for 2/13 to 2/16. 

Michael Durr
aka
Kedrix of Aldrianian
(*The Forgotten One*)
teedub
Shriners
Ultimate Member

Pop it to lock it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: Feb 15, 2009, 12:36:21 AM »

HOLY CRAPOLA!  I picked up the game on Friday night, and proceeded to play for 7 straight hours from 9pm-4am.  THEN, about 6 hours total today.  I managed to get my first "Platinum Trophy" after all that.  Seriously awesome, if you're a fan of retro games, this compilation is the best I've ever played.

Kedrix
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

*The Forgotten One*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: Feb 15, 2009, 09:22:53 PM »

Awesome to hear, I did pick it up from Fry's on Friday.  I also managed to pick up the 2-disc version of Mass Effect.  However, I have told myself I will finish Lego Star Wars Complete Saga (half done with Episode 5, so not too long now).  After that, this game is on the short list with Fallout 3 & Mass Effect.  Good to know that it is that freaking cool.  If I get some time (I'm pretty backed up with dvd reviews), I will try to put out a review for it in the next two weeks for this great collection of games. 

Michael Durr
aka
Kedrix of Aldrianian
(*The Forgotten One*)
teedub
Shriners
Ultimate Member

Pop it to lock it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: Feb 16, 2009, 12:51:58 PM »

Shinobi Arcade version, FTW.  I've gotten all there is to get on this disc, yet I keep playing it.  That's a good sign, kudos to Sega and Backbone!

Though I have been finding some odd audio glitches here and there, but I know that the Genesis audio chip is very difficult to emulate with software alone.

Kedrix
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

*The Forgotten One*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: Mar 02, 2009, 08:47:46 AM »

I started playing this on Sunday after I put Lego Star Wars CS finally to rest (all mini-kits, all gold bricks, all red bricks, etc, etc except for 4 miscellaneous achievements and of course the ill-fated 100% achievement).  All I can say is wow.  The assortment of games I already knew was overwhelming but how good most of them look is another.  The 16:9 option is actually pretty decent especially with games like Sonic and Golden Axe.  But I'm thinking two things here.  1, It's been a while since I've played some of these, I don't remember being this crappy in games like Columns or Bonanza Bros.  2, Teedub is a gaming god if he already unlocked everything.  I did get three achievements last night (Altered Beast, Sonic, Golden Axe) but I'm going to have real trouble with some of these.  I did unlock Altered Beast (arcade) and Phantasy Star (got my girlie to play Sonic 2 with me) though.  Loving it so far, the save states are awesome.  This the best retro collection I've played since the SNK/Neo Geo collection, possibly the best ever. 

Michael Durr
aka
Kedrix of Aldrianian
(*The Forgotten One*)
teedub
Shriners
Ultimate Member

Pop it to lock it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: Mar 02, 2009, 11:21:17 AM »

Teedub is a gaming god if he already unlocked everything.

Best.  Compliment.  EVAR.  (+)

I got all the trophies in just over a 24-hour time span.  First was at 9:00pm on a Friday, and by Saturday at 9:30pm I had the Platinum.  Mean Bean Machine was the most challenging, Super Thunder Blade was the most frustrating, and I gained a lot of respect for Vectorman.  Just an awesome complitation.

Not sure if anyone else besides Ked is even reading this, but if you love retro gaming in the slightest, this compilation is a MUST own.

Kedrix
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

*The Forgotten One*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: Mar 02, 2009, 11:45:24 AM »

Wow...simply wow.   Smiley  I assume the trophies are close or the same as the achievements on 360.  Okay (not to show my ineptness or anything), but Columns is a good example.  Score 20,000 on Easy is the achievement.  I played 5 games last night, the best I could manage was a smidgen over 10k.  I keep wondering if I'm just doing it wrong or forgot how to play.  Sonic Spinball, similar thing; score 10 million points on the first level.  I've managed three, the only difference being is that I do see improvement, so I'm hopeful.  I wish there would have been an achievement for Gain Ground.  I so was the master of that one Smiley.  But like you, this game is going to be played for a long long time. 

If I can get some time, I will have the review out this week.  This is a super easy review, one that will take very little effort on my part to put out.  I LOVE THIS GAME! 

Michael Durr
aka
Kedrix of Aldrianian
(*The Forgotten One*)
Shriners
Ultimate Member

Dressed for Success!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Mar 02, 2009, 11:55:37 AM »

I like retro gaming collections, but always find myself playing them for a bit and then giving up because I got newer and (IMO) better games to play.  Some hold up well, but its more of a nostalgia then excellent game/gameplay.

teedub
Shriners
Ultimate Member

Pop it to lock it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: Mar 03, 2009, 10:00:49 AM »

The trophies and achievements are identical, Ked.  Columns is all about combo planning, it's tough on Easy because you have to get 3x-4x combos to get some decent points.  They're worth more on the higher levels, therein lies the challenge.  Smiley  Spinball will get easier as you familiarize yourself with the level, you really have to place your shots well (and don't forget that you can guide Sonic with the D-pad at all times).  It's a well-crafted pinball game, there's lots of little tasks you need to perform.  You can always spam the small point tasks if you want as well. I do wish there were achievements for each game, I don't think that would have been too difficult for the developers, but what do I know?

Cron:  Nostalgia is a helluva drug, and this collection will keep you buzzed for a while.  This is one game where I feel the achievements (trophies) actually benefit the game, in that you have a reason to play each title for more than a five minute span.  That's how I came to love Vectorman ten years after it's original release.  There's a lot of games on the collection worth playing, and if you're into the trophy thing, it'll keep you entertained (and happily frustrated) for hours.  I wasn't much of a trophy-whore before this game, but now I'm getting all OCD for them.  I'm only two golds away from my second Platinum (Burnout Paradise)!

Kedrix
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

*The Forgotten One*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: Mar 03, 2009, 12:34:56 PM »

Heh I guess so, I did manage to get the Spinball achievement no problem two games into last night.  Columns, I'm still having trouble with and I'm stuck around 10k.  I also managed to get the Alex Kidd achievement last night.  That was fairly easy.  I also played Flicky for a bit, it's very child like (my girlfriend took a picture of me playing because she thought it was funny I was playing that game when I'm 33 years old) but kinda hard. 

Michael Durr
aka
Kedrix of Aldrianian
(*The Forgotten One*)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: