Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
SMF - Just Installed!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What do you think of...  (Read 10409 times)
Kedrix
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

*The Forgotten One*

View Profile WWW
« on: Jan 06, 2009, 10:13:09 AM »

Welp, I've been weighing my options in the Blu-Ray player market and have come across this one for as cheap as 179.00 (check Ebay) w/shipping.  I'm trying to spend under $200 and it has to have optical for now until I get enough cash to upgrade my receiver and be able to support current formats so that when I get a new receiver it can take advantage of it. 

http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/detail/detail.do?group=audiovideo&type=blu_ray&subtype=blu_raydiscplayers&model_cd=BD-P1500/XAA

Michael Durr
aka
Kedrix of Aldrianian
(*The Forgotten One*)
Movie Freak
Shriners
Ultimate Member

"And I thought they smelled bad on the outside!"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2009, 02:56:52 PM »

Yup, I'd give that one a thumbs up. With a firmware update it will Bitstream all the new audio codecs once you get a newer reciever. The only thing you will miss out on is the hi-res audio for now, but at least you'll have the full resolution picture if your set handles 1080p.

Have fun!

I know I don't say it enough, but I love you guys!
Kedrix
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

*The Forgotten One*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: Apr 20, 2009, 09:11:42 AM »

Today, is April 20th, about 4 months after I first started looking and I ended up buying the same exact player I started with (despite other models I perused).  The price (~$125.00 w/priority shipping, open box but full return if any issues) made it irrestiable.  Now, just to get it here and experience the big blue leap. 

P.s. - Thanks again to Freak who actually took the effort to look the player up for me and make sure that it was adequate.

BTW, for those who are curious about this player...it had yet another update to the firmware on 4/16 which means it is actively supported.  I really haven't found anything negative about the player yet.  I hope that holds true when I get it out of the box. 

Michael Durr
aka
Kedrix of Aldrianian
(*The Forgotten One*)
Movie Freak
Shriners
Ultimate Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 20, 2009, 03:40:48 PM »

Today, is April 20th, about 4 months after I first started looking and I ended up buying the same exact player I started with (despite other models I perused).  The price (~$125.00 w/priority shipping, open box but full return if any issues) made it irrestiable.  Now, just to get it here and experience the big blue leap. 

P.s. - Thanks again to Freak who actually took the effort to look the player up for me and make sure that it was adequate.

BTW, for those who are curious about this player...it had yet another update to the firmware on 4/16 which means it is actively supported.  I really haven't found anything negative about the player yet.  I hope that holds true when I get it out of the box. 

Yep, my dad has that player and had to update it in order to watch Australia. He said the update over LAN option worked as easily as any other player. Good luck!!

Shriners
Ultimate Member

Dressed for Success!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 20, 2009, 07:42:05 PM »

Nice.....Blu is so very nice.

Kedrix
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

*The Forgotten One*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: Apr 22, 2009, 02:12:33 PM »

So now the other pressing question while I wait for my big blu box.  Upgrading my current receiver...obviously as you can tell by the length of time; I am going to work it out financially and I want to get the best out there in my price range.  So what do you recommend?  I've had good luck with Sony receivers...but it might be time to go elsewhere.  Price Range, I'm hoping for $700 and under.  $500 or lower would be fantastic.  ..btw...all I'm really looking for is HDMI inputs (needs to have an optical too for older stuff like my PS2), support for the newer formats, and 7.1.  I would like to purchase by the end of the  year, probably fall timeframe.  Thanks in advance  Grin

Michael Durr
aka
Kedrix of Aldrianian
(*The Forgotten One*)
Gino
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 22, 2009, 04:00:18 PM »

One Word: Onkyo.
You can't get a 9 or Integra series for that money but even their entry level units are outstanding.
I'm on my second. I love it.
Movie Freak
Shriners
Ultimate Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 22, 2009, 04:00:39 PM »

All of these should be in the $400 - $500 range retail...

Here is a Sony mid/entry level next gen receiver in your range...

Sony STR-DG820

One from Onkyo...

Onkyo TX-SR606

I've always liked Yamaha's sound, so I'm throwing one in to flesh out the list...

Yamaha RX-V665

Kedrix
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

*The Forgotten One*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: Apr 23, 2009, 06:20:34 AM »

Thanks Freak & Gino  Grin!  I actually was already looking at that Sony one.  But I will also give Onkyo a look since when I was looking at my current receiver, I was actually split between my Sony and another Onkyo.  In the BestBuy ad this week, I also saw a Harman receiver for $499, I always thought they were quite pricey...but it looked entry level. 

Michael Durr
aka
Kedrix of Aldrianian
(*The Forgotten One*)
Kedrix
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

*The Forgotten One*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: Apr 26, 2009, 05:33:07 PM »

BTW, got the box on Saturday and set it up on Sunday.  All I can say, it's pretty freaking sweet.  The only pain was upgrading the firmware and stretching the Ethernet cable way too far  Grin. (since it was at an old firmware which didn't support update from USB).  But I played Dark Knight for a little bit as well as Fantastic Four.  The re-encode for the sound(from the TrueHD & DTS-MA formats) works really well, I know it's not a permanent solution for the real thing (a new receiver) but it will certainly allow me to save up to be able to buy it by the end of the year and not feel too much pressure.  Awesome awesome stuff!

Michael Durr
aka
Kedrix of Aldrianian
(*The Forgotten One*)
Beckmen
Shriners
Ultimate Member

I'm a alien!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: Apr 28, 2009, 06:32:56 AM »

LOL, I just came here to ask about the YAMAHA RX-V665, and saw Freak already suggested.

I tried to get my friend to buy it since he wants to upgrade, but he whined that it was too expensive. He shits out 500 dollars a week easy, though. Idiot.

My Short Films
My DVD Collection

"When you're pushed...killing's as easy as breathing."
Kedrix
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

*The Forgotten One*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2009, 07:51:31 PM »

Welp, I finally did it (and correctly). 

Went into Best Buy...

bought the BDP-S350 by Sony and the STR-DG820 receiver.  Together...(it was the last Sony receiver and said unavailable in every other one across town).  Hooked it up, works great....just like it is supposed to.  I'm so glad. 

Oh by the way...MF...I understand 100% now what you mean by the player outputting the bitstream to the receiver now.  I was a little fuzzy before...but for the first hour or so, I was just using the PCM stream which is fine....but after realizing that I'm supposed to switch it to Direct so it play the true stream (TruHD or DTS HD), there is a difference.  It's not crazy, but certainly noticeable.  Thank you. 

Michael Durr
aka
Kedrix of Aldrianian
(*The Forgotten One*)
Movie Freak
Shriners
Ultimate Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2009, 11:35:21 PM »

Oh by the way...MF...I understand 100% now what you mean by the player outputting the bitstream to the receiver now.  I was a little fuzzy before...but for the first hour or so, I was just using the PCM stream which is fine....but after realizing that I'm supposed to switch it to Direct so it play the true stream (TruHD or DTS HD), there is a difference.  It's not crazy, but certainly noticeable.  Thank you. 

Right on, I'm glad you did it right! I'm sure it will be much more enjoyable and you can rest easy that your movie experience at home will be the best possible!

I'm really happy for you bud, it's a good feeling to be able to help someone achieve their goal!

Beckmen
Shriners
Ultimate Member

I'm a alien!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2009, 02:21:18 PM »

Well....yeah, I mean....you gotta photograph those birds, man.

I wanted to buy a telephoto lens for my DSLR, but I am not made of money! I think nature photography might be something cool to attempt. Probably don't have the patience, though.

Wait, what is this thread about?

My Short Films
My DVD Collection

"When you're pushed...killing's as easy as breathing."
Kedrix
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

*The Forgotten One*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2009, 07:25:12 AM »

Thought it was about a journey of one man's goal to achieve blu-ray distinction...or something like that.   Grin  But perhaps he thinks of birds.  *shrug* dunno.

Michael Durr
aka
Kedrix of Aldrianian
(*The Forgotten One*)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: