Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
SMF - Just Installed!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Laser Television  (Read 11360 times)
Beckmen
Shriners
Ultimate Member

I'm a alien!

View Profile WWW
« on: Oct 08, 2008, 10:45:43 AM »

Anybody read up on these babies yet? I remember first hearing about them a while ago, they don't seem to be on the market just yet...but they are supposed to be the next big thing. Reportedly, they can deliver something like three times more color than all of the other HDTV tech, and the lasers project faster, which is supposed to give a better over-all image. They will weigh the same, and cost the same, as the current tech, although I don't buy that last one at all.

It will probably take a few years to perfect, but maybe this will be the tech that finally brings an excellent HD image to large screens, without any major drawbacks like all of the current tech is displaying.

My Short Films
My DVD Collection

"When you're pushed...killing's as easy as breathing."
Mirage52
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Oct 09, 2008, 07:49:18 AM »

If this is the cutting edge stuff in a year or two, and they are getting good reviews and aren't too expensive, I will be in the market for one.

Who's house? Run's house.
Shriners
Ultimate Member

Dressed for Success!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 09, 2008, 09:27:57 PM »

Yea, I was excited for this stuff too.  Last I read though, it wasn't nearly as cheap as they said it would be at first.  I haven't looked into it for awhile though.  Aren't they supposed to begin shipping at the end of the year?

Beckmen
Shriners
Ultimate Member

I'm a alien!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: Oct 09, 2008, 11:43:06 PM »

$6,999 for a 65-inch screen, not too bad.

My Short Films
My DVD Collection

Movie Freak
Shriners
Ultimate Member

"And I thought they smelled bad on the outside!"

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 10, 2008, 06:26:53 AM »

Funny, I paid less than half that for a 67" screen and that included a 4 year extended warranty... hmmmm.

EDIT: Wasn't trying to be an ass, I was just trying to make the argument for LED-DLP, a wonderful technology that the retailers will eventually kill with all these garbage LCD's and Plasma's.

Mirage, you've waited this long, wait a while longer for holographic projection!! lol
« Last Edit: Oct 10, 2008, 06:28:49 AM by Movie Freak » Logged

I know I don't say it enough, but I love you guys!
Shriners
Ultimate Member

Dressed for Success!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 10, 2008, 12:20:46 PM »

Exactly, they said that it would be cheaper than current techs, if not at least the same cost.  I realize they have to upfront the cost for their R&D costs the past few years, but its not what was told to the consumer.

Beckmen
Shriners
Ultimate Member

I'm a alien!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: Oct 10, 2008, 04:26:45 PM »

The thing about DLP, is there are drawbacks like replacing lamps and dealing with a larger unit. I mean sure, there is nothing wrong with having a big ass unit in your house or apartment, but getting it IN there serves a major problem. Moving my 34" Tube TV into my old apt took hours and caused several people a week's worth of aches and pains. Getting the 47" LCD set in the new apartment (the distance from the front door to it's final destination was probably about double, too) took about 15 minutes and wasn't that psychically taxing at all.

Laser will drop their prices eventually. You have to expect all new tech to be costly, no matter what BS the manufacturers try to feed you. Once other companies start producing them, etc the prices will drop. Unless the tech flops, we'll see. You never know, it could cause blindness, lol.

My Short Films
My DVD Collection

Movie Freak
Shriners
Ultimate Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 10, 2008, 08:11:59 PM »

The thing about DLP, is there are drawbacks like replacing lamps and dealing with a larger unit. I mean sure, there is nothing wrong with having a big ass unit in your house or apartment, but getting it IN there serves a major problem. 

Oh Beck, typical American, afraid of what you don't understand or know....

You've obviously never read the specs on the 2008 67" Samsung. My 27" tube weighs twice as much and has a much deeper footprint than the LED-DLP. Actually, Other than the base, which is around 16" deep at the base, the top of my TV is thinner than any plasma or LCD I have seen. The actual width of the face of the bezel is 0.6"... thats thin for a 67" tv, hell any size tv, Beck.

Sure, 5 years ago when it was a young tech, it was a little funky... but so was LCD and Plasma. Today, the LED projection unit has same halflife (30,000 - 60,000 hours) of an entire Plasma unit... so when your plasma or LCD show their final film... my DLP will have just gone through it's first bulb.

Seriously, I wish people would listen more closely, I'm just trying to open some peoples eyes around here that for $2000 you CANNOT get a better picture or anything even close to 67" in other technologies. I would have bought this even if I lived in a one bedroom apartment. Anyway, seeing is believing and retail will never get back to the bigger LED DLP lines simply because of floorspace. If you think I'm kidding, google it.

PS -

Shriners
Ultimate Member

Dressed for Success!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Oct 11, 2008, 03:58:43 PM »

I'm getting one later this year, only in the 61" variety.

Beckmen
Shriners
Ultimate Member

I'm a alien!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: Oct 11, 2008, 08:49:56 PM »

Well, after I did my initial research four years ago, I stopped paying that close attention to TV tech. However, that base looks pretty wide to me.

DLP is something I initially considered. I even planned to get one for a while, but my local electronics store didn't have any IIRC, and I didn't really trust the technology without giving it a test drive. So I went with a tube TV instead, since it was a reliable tech. For a while, Wal-Mart actually had a DLP set. I tried to get my friend to buy it a few times, but he had too much of a hard-on for flat panel sets. But by the time I was ready to buy a new TV, they didn't stock them anymore, and I was still unsure of how the picture would look...and never trust in-store displays, so I didn't want to risk buying one at Best Buy or something an hour's drive away, especially since I didn't have any transportation.

DLP is probably pretty good. It's probably better than the LCD that I have, which refuses to produce anything even close to a normal black level without wiping out shadow detail, and have serious viewing angle problems (though, I am in the only one among my friends so far who have noticed). But oh, well. c'est la vie.

My Short Films
My DVD Collection

Movie Freak
Shriners
Ultimate Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Oct 12, 2008, 10:51:38 AM »

I'm getting one later this year, only in the 61" variety.

And you're gonna get one hell-of-a deal Cron... I can't wait for you to see your 360 collection on that bad-ass-moffo tv!!! I'm really excited for you.

Movie Freak
Shriners
Ultimate Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Oct 12, 2008, 10:54:04 AM »

However, that base looks pretty wide to me.

Dude, find a tape measure and look at 16" and then tell me thats a wide/deep base for a 67" tv (which is 43" tall). Pics are never good for scale.

Beckmen
Shriners
Ultimate Member

I'm a alien!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: Oct 12, 2008, 08:14:16 PM »

I guess if you take the TV out of the box, it's not too bad. But with a 16" base, the depth of the box has got to be at least 20", probably a lot more, and a standard doorway is like 32ish inches.

My Short Films
My DVD Collection

Movie Freak
Shriners
Ultimate Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Oct 12, 2008, 11:05:01 PM »

I guess if you take the TV out of the box, it's not too bad. But with a 16" base, the depth of the box has got to be at least 20", probably a lot more, and a standard doorway is like 32ish inches.

Hey, it's a big ass tv, nobody said anything about being easy to move... my point was that it's as easy or easier than a plasma because it's half the weight.

Mirage52
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Oct 13, 2008, 09:22:45 AM »

Mirage, you've waited this long, wait a while longer for holographic projection!! lol

Actually I am waiting for you to come to my house and reenact all the movies and shows I want to watch.

Who's house? Run's house.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: