Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
SMF - Just Installed!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anybody know anything about camcorders?  (Read 6133 times)
Beckmen
Shriners
Ultimate Member

I'm a alien!

View Profile WWW
« on: May 24, 2008, 07:00:14 PM »

The LCD screen on my Panasonic PV GS250 is pretty much dead (unless one lame-ass hail mary will fix it...doubtful). I am looking to buy a new camera, and use the PV GS250 for 'b-roll' and stuff, since it works...you just can't use it for moving shots, since the viewfinder is worthless unless the operator is stationary. I am having the damnedest time finding a suitable camera, though. Here is what I need...

1: 3CCD System
2: Head-Phone Jack
3: Microphone Jack (I guess Panasonic stopped putting these on their 3-chip cameras, so the models that came after the GS250 are worthless, since I use an external mic)
4: Under 1,000 dollars
5: Shoots in DV format in SD, and 16x9 (so I don't have to deal with down converting HD, and getting HD-compliant programs, and all that stuff). I know some HD cameras have a DV mode, but it needs to be good, and not some tacked-on crap. 
6: 43mm threads for lens and filter attachments (which I already have)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 07:07:27 PM by Beckmen » Logged

My Short Films
My DVD Collection

"When you're pushed...killing's as easy as breathing."
Beckmen
Shriners
Ultimate Member

I'm a alien!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 08:48:07 PM »

I found a PV GS400, which according to reviews sounds like it blows my GS250 out of the water in terms of controls and stuff. Used on Ebay for 600 bucks...which is a lot, but all of the other auctions were over a grand! Panasonic doesn't have any good models anymore, either. Bastards.

Anyway, if somebody knows of a camera that meets my demands, even though I don't need one...let me know, anyway. If the one I bought craps out on me, I will be up shit creek again.

My Short Films
My DVD Collection

arindam.0000

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 30, 2009, 09:14:54 AM »

The big advantage of High Definition Camcorders is the better quality footage you are able to record.

The downsides of High Definition include the fact they are considerably more expensive than a Standard Definition model with similar features. They also take up a lot more storage. You also need to be aware that not all video editing software can cope with the way High Definition movies are compressed to fit on to the storage media your camcorder has.

Be aware also that not all brands include a HDMI cable as standard with their camcorders. This is required to attach the camcorder to a television set. If there is not one supplied with your camcorder then you will need to add a further 10 or so to your budget to buy one.
Beckmen
Shriners
Ultimate Member

I'm a alien!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: Apr 30, 2009, 06:35:21 PM »

Some just use component cables. My friend's does that. No HDMI, but then again he has like a 3-or-4-year-old 720p camcorder.

Yeah, HD is nice. I kind of wish I had gone HD because the footage I am left with on 480i is so bad, but oh well. Maybe someday I will have an opportunity to upgrade. You never know.

My Short Films
My DVD Collection

Gino
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 30, 2009, 11:22:46 PM »

I found a PV GS400, which according to reviews sounds like it blows my GS250 out of the water in terms of controls and stuff. Used on Ebay for 600 bucks...which is a lot, but all of the other auctions were over a grand! Panasonic doesn't have any good models anymore, either. Bastards.

Anyway, if somebody knows of a camera that meets my demands, even though I don't need one...let me know, anyway. If the one I bought craps out on me, I will be up shit creek again.

Amen Brother!
Pany used to be the best stuff out there.
I used to have tons of Pany stuff.
About 5 years ago they started dropping like crap.
None of their electronics are worth a damn anymore.
I have a friend with the PV GS400. It's sweet and worth that $600, if you've got the jack.
Sweet picture and smooth operation.
Beckmen
Shriners
Ultimate Member

I'm a alien!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 12:11:44 AM »

Oh, hah...I never actually said what happened. The seller ripped me off, paypal and ebay didn't do one God damned thing about it. Lost the 600 or whatever. Ended up buying a GS500 from butterflyphoto or something. It works OK, but it doesn't have the controls the 400 did, and also no headphone jack which is the bane of my existence. Also, the larger CCDs don't amount to much, as the image is only slightly better than the 250.

Moral of the story: Don't buy something on Ebay when you are going through a manic phase. I apparently hallucinated checking the guy's feedback, because I remember doing so...yet after he ripped me off, I went back and saw a bunch of people who he ripped off negging him. Why Eaby didn't suspend his account after the first time, I have no clue.

My Short Films
My DVD Collection

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: