Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
SMF - Just Installed!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 35   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First-Viewing Thread  (Read 193326 times)
jfrost
Shriners

View Profile WWW
« on: Dec 29, 2006, 12:48:14 PM »

This thread is to discuss movies that you've seen for the first time, either renting the DVD, seeing it in theatres or whatnot.
lotrrules
High-Def Reviewer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2006, 01:36:02 PM »

Watched The Breakfast Club yesterday on HD (review will be up shortly). Funny movie especially considering the garbage of teen-related films we have now-a-days. Fresh and charming. Transfer wasn't that bad either considering the age. Some grain/video noise. Good use of colors (nice subtle blues and whites in the library).

Movie was a 3.5/5 and transfer was a 3/5

Beckmen
Shriners
Ultimate Member

I'm a alien!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: Dec 31, 2006, 06:06:09 AM »

I was really moved by Last Kiss. Maybe I am just a big woman or something, but I found it to be really true and well-written.

Factotum was OK.

My Short Films
My DVD Collection

"When you're pushed...killing's as easy as breathing."
ryank

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2007, 04:13:32 PM »

I was really moved by Last Kiss. Maybe I am just a big woman or something, but I found it to be really true and well-written.

Nope, I think it's cause you're a big woman  Cheesy
zenje
Shriners
Ultimate Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 01, 2007, 08:37:51 PM »

Well, my eyes were welling up when watching Charllote's Web today, nicely done. If you liked Babe, you'll like this one too. B+

I'm listening to the music with no fear.
You can hear it too if you're sincere.
Tommy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2007, 10:08:54 AM »

About eight years after its release, I finally watched Lake Placid yesterday. What a fun movie! Gruesome, funny, well-acted, well-written, and all with a cool creature. Not a bad combination at all.
Mirage52
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2007, 06:39:10 PM »

Ugh, I thought Lake Placid was dreadful.

Anyway, here are a few films I've watched recently... (out of ****)

High Tension - pah, it was the rated R version, and I've heard the NC-17 version is much better, but even still, it's only an added minute of footage -- probably mostly gore. There was plenty of that in the R version, but the ending totally ruined it for me. I was enjoying it up until then, but it made no sense and the filmmakers left no clues to guess the ending ahead of time, or explain the twist. Just a failed experiment to make the film different from its many predesessors. Still a decent slasher flick though. **1/2

Stay Unlike the above film, the ending for this actually worked and added another layer to what was a pretty tedious film. I was about to give up on it several times, but I'm glad I stuck it out. The ending provided the emotional impact I was waiting for. Plus, Ryan Gosling is an excellent actor. I can't wait to see Full Nelson, if it ever plays in a theater by my town. Ewan McGregor was good too. ***

Joyeux Noel - French film about the 1914 Christmas truce during WWI. An excellent Christmas film, to boot, if you're looking for a different holiday themed film. Powerful and moving without being cheesy, which this film could have easily been. ***1/2

Rocky Balboa Sly has done it again. The best film since the original and an excellent send off for the character that I, and millions of others grew up with. Still moving and inspiring with an excellently staged fight that felt like the real thing. Just good filmmaking that is enjoyable for the entire family without being corny or preachy. ***1/2

Who's house? Run's house.
lotrrules
High-Def Reviewer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 04, 2007, 06:39:53 AM »

Rocky Balboa Sly has done it again. The best film since the original and an excellent send off for the character that I, and millions of others grew up with. Still moving and inspiring with an excellently staged fight that felt like the real thing. Just good filmmaking that is enjoyable for the entire family without being corny or preachy. ***1/2

I completely agree. The film was excellent and probably was the best since the 1st. Pure enjoyment.

Anyhow, I finished off Field of Dreams last night. Wow. Never saw this film before and man I feel bad about missing it for so long. What a fantastic film. Great story with a surefire feel of determination and never giving up. Decent acting by Costner but that acting is not as important as the story. I'd give it ***1/2

Mirage52
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 04, 2007, 04:14:52 PM »

I'll probably watch FoD before baseball starts up again. Excellent baseball movie, and the ending gets me watery-eyed everytime.

Mirage52
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 04, 2007, 07:24:30 PM »

Just watched The Wind that Shakes the Barley and I enjoyed it. It shows the birth of the IRA and the divided state amongst the Irish in Ireland. Very good script. Listening to the actors speak their lines (I also had the subtitles on because sometimes I couldn't understand what was being said) was like listening to music. It won Cannes last year and I expect it to get some nominations come Oscar season. ***1/2

lotrrules
High-Def Reviewer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 04, 2007, 08:39:48 PM »

Finally saw Superman Returns today. Not as bad as everyone has been saying it is. Sure Brandon Routh doesn't have anything on Christopher Reeves same thing with Kate Bosworth/Margot Kidder, but I don't think that was Bryan Singer's attempt here. Solid story and Kevin Spacey, as great as he is, didn't feel 'right' as Lex Luthor. He didn't seem to have that badassness that Hackman had (or hell even Rosenbaum does in 'Smallville'). If you have HD DVD though grab this one. Damn what an audio experience! Film was a ***

On another note, watched The Departed again. Damn if that film isn't EVEN BETTER the second time around. Can't wait for the HD of this one!
« Last Edit: Jan 04, 2007, 08:50:05 PM by lotrrules » Logged

Mirage52
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jan 05, 2007, 10:07:51 AM »

I thought Luthor was too mean in Superman Returns. Hackman's Luthor was just as ruthless, but he had a comedic value about him that Spacey's character lacked.

darthmaulclone
Shriners

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jan 05, 2007, 02:50:19 PM »

Yes but if they ever decide to do the Lex Luthor for president arc from the comics Spacey would just be chilling in that sort of role.
Beckmen
Shriners
Ultimate Member

I'm a alien!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: Jan 05, 2007, 09:41:25 PM »

As for High Tension, why can nobody graps the concept that this movie is from the woman's POV, and because she is crazy, little 'plot holes' like "who's driving the truck" don't aren't actually plot holes at all?

My Short Films
My DVD Collection

"When you're pushed...killing's as easy as breathing."
Tommy

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jan 06, 2007, 06:49:21 PM »

Saw Rocky Balboa yesterday. Very good movie, and it has way more in common with the first film than any of the others, which is a big plus in my book.

Also saw The Pursuit of Happyness, which has such a happy ending. I was surprised how caught up I was in the story.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 35   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: