Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
SMF - Just Installed!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gotta buy a new receiver...  (Read 10341 times)
Mirage52
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

View Profile
« on: Feb 18, 2008, 08:26:01 AM »

The problems I had explained in the HT Issues thread have continued... and I'm going to need a new receiver.

I did some quick looking and I think I am going to get the Denon AVR-1508 with 7.1 75 watts x 7.

Here is the Best Buy page

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8355362&type=product&id=1177112416170

I don't want to spend a lot of money but I would like a 7.1 receiver so I can upgrade to more surround speakers in the future.

What does everyone think? Is there a better 7.1 receiver I can get for the price?

Who's house? Run's house.
Movie Freak
Shriners
Ultimate Member

"And I thought they smelled bad on the outside!"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18, 2008, 09:47:06 AM »

The problems I had explained in the HT Issues thread have continued... and I'm going to need a new receiver.

I did some quick looking and I think I am going to get the Denon AVR-1508 with 7.1 75 watts x 7.

Here is the Best Buy page

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8355362&type=product&id=1177112416170

I don't want to spend a lot of money but I would like a 7.1 receiver so I can upgrade to more surround speakers in the future.

What does everyone think? Is there a better 7.1 receiver I can get for the price?

For the price... I don't know. I do know that I don't like buying things like this at BB because they won't budge on price unless you have an advert from someone else. Mirage, buddy, pal... I would seriously shop around for either of these receivers... (the first one is mine) if only for the reason that you'd be ready to upgrade anything else in the future and be 100% compatible....

If you shop around, you should be able to pick this up under $1000...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8497432&type=product&id=1188561455849

A little cheaper, but still filled with function, could be found under $700 in the US...

http://www.visions.ca/catalogue/category/Details.aspx?categoryId=139&productId=1348&menuId=368&parentId1=368&parentId2=''&parentId3=''&menuLevel=1

Seriously, aside from your monitor/projector/tv, your receiver is the most important tool in your HT... choose wisely!!!!

I know I don't say it enough, but I love you guys!
Mirage52
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 18, 2008, 02:46:18 PM »

I hear ya but I can't go above $400. Besides, the receiver I have now was $400 back in 2000 and it worked plenty good enough for me. I know technology has improved since then and that receiver would be like $200 now.

So I am still upgrading in that sense.

But I wish my receiver now would just work. I have no problems with it and I don't feel like dealing with the hassle.

Movie Freak
Shriners
Ultimate Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 18, 2008, 04:20:26 PM »

I hear ya but I can't go above $400. Besides, the receiver I have now was $400 back in 2000 and it worked plenty good enough for me. I know technology has improved since then and that receiver would be like $200 now.

So I am still upgrading in that sense.

But I wish my receiver now would just work. I have no problems with it and I don't feel like dealing with the hassle.

Could be a cheap fix. Why not see if its repairable? Then you could save a bit and buy a better 7.1 receiver next year when the new format models drop in price, no?

Beckmen
Shriners
Ultimate Member

I'm a alien!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: Jul 13, 2009, 05:31:26 PM »

So I am probably in the same boat. Will probably buy a new receiver, but I am pretty clueless these days when it comes to what to buy. Here are my wants...

-5.1. My room wouldn't really support a 6.1 or 7.1 set-up, nowhere to put the extra speakers, etc. 5.1 is more than enough speakers, IMO and I already have them.
-HDMI digital sound
-Whatever so that I can watch any device with the surround sound off and get sound through the TV speakers without having to do anything complex (is this HDMI pass-through, or is that something else?)
-Probably pretty standard, but bass/treble controls, dynamic range compression, channel adjustment (usually tweak the center and rare L/R channels a bit to get a more balanced sound-scape), headphone jack

I'd like to spend 150-200 for this. I don't use surround sound all that often, and I have never been able to detect audio compression issues, so it doesn't have to be all that fancy. So even something that doesn't do full HD audio would be fine. I had no complaints with the sound quality before.

Oh, concerning wattage...I am not sure how it works, but it needs to be compatible with my existing speakers. I think they are all 100-110 watts. My old receiver was a 500-watt. JVC RX-6018VBK to be exact (still have the receiver box)
« Last Edit: Jul 13, 2009, 05:36:19 PM by Beckmen » Logged

My Short Films
My DVD Collection

"When you're pushed...killing's as easy as breathing."
Beckmen
Shriners
Ultimate Member

I'm a alien!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: Sep 04, 2009, 05:15:31 AM »

Bah! My friend gave me one of these: http://reviews.cnet.com/home-theater-systems/rca-rt2770/1707-6740_7-32673353.html but it's ass. It doesn't even have any volume, and it sounds all fracked up. Not enough controls to really tweak it.

So I am looking at:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001TOZTCA/ref=asc_df_B001TOZTCA895139?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&linkCode=asn&creative=380341&creativeASIN=B001TOZTCA&tag=cnet-3380-20

I know it doesn't do uncompressed sound via HDMI, but TOSLink sound should do the trick.

Opinions?

My Short Films
My DVD Collection

"When you're pushed...killing's as easy as breathing."
Shriners
Ultimate Member

Dressed for Success!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 17, 2009, 02:09:06 AM »

A little bump to this thread.  I am looking to upgrade my sound with my tax return money this year.  I will need to pick up a receiver, sub, and two speakers for front R and L.  I am looking at just getting these components for now, and then maybe in a year or two, buying the other speakers to fill out the 5.1, but I am not really interested in spending all that money now.

I am pretty clueless on the audio side of things, so any help or advice is appreciated.  I saw this receiver and the price/reviews seem pretty favorable, any thoughts?

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-VSX-1019AH-K-7-Channel-Receiver-Black/dp/B001UADEPC/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I3FZ38K0XV4R9R&colid=1UTZKQ5HPRJF6

And what would be a good sub/front speakers to go with it.  Does it really matter?

Thanks guys, hopefully a few of you are still droppin in on occasion.

Gino
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Nov 17, 2009, 01:08:50 PM »

Onkyo 9 series Rec.
Klipsch Speakers.
'nuff said.

By the way, if you do buy at Amazon, please start from Upcomingdiscs.com it helps to pay for ... well this forum.
Thanks.
Mirage52
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Nov 18, 2009, 10:38:52 AM »

I never responded to this thread. I did by a new Yamaha receiver, 7.1...can't remember which model number. Anyway, I love it... and I need to post some pictures of my new sweet-ass set-up.

Movie Freak
Shriners
Ultimate Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Nov 25, 2009, 12:32:06 PM »

I never responded to this thread. I did by a new Yamaha receiver, 7.1...can't remember which model number. Anyway, I love it... and I need to post some pictures of my new sweet-ass set-up.

I love my Yamaha and have been extremely pleased with its performance to date.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: