Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
SMF - Just Installed!

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HT issues....  (Read 48020 times)
Mirage52
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 07, 2009, 08:50:53 AM »

Becks, swap the center channel out with what you have on the top shelf. No need for the CC to be that far away from the TV.

MF - I did a little reading last night and it looks like I've got to hook up the receiver to the TV and do all that stuff that way. My relic of a TV doesn't have an HDMI input, so is there anyway to hook the receiver to the TV to access those features? I hooked up a friend's receiver and it looked like HDMI was the only way to hook the receiver up to the TV but I can't remember.

If I can hook it up to the TV I will do that when I install the 7.1 speakers. I am not getting behind that clusterf-ck again for at least a few weeks.

Who's house? Run's house.
Movie Freak
Shriners
Ultimate Member

"And I thought they smelled bad on the outside!"

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 07, 2009, 02:21:22 PM »

MF - I did a little reading last night and it looks like I've got to hook up the receiver to the TV and do all that stuff that way. My relic of a TV doesn't have an HDMI input, so is there anyway to hook the receiver to the TV to access those features? I hooked up a friend's receiver and it looked like HDMI was the only way to hook the receiver up to the TV but I can't remember.

Hooking it up to the TV without the use of HDMI is pretty much useless. Looking at the image of your receiver...

http://www.yamaha.com/YECDealerMedia/adgraphs/products/rx-v565bl_front.jpg

... the remote has a button for music Enhancer/Stereo. My remote/receiver has the same function. There is a Straight button below it, that's what I use all of the time, except for music. Straight is like Pure Direct, except the receiver uses its own decoders. Pure Direct is a 100% passthrough of the incoming signal. I like the receiver to do the decoding, so I use the Straight function.

List the components you have hooked up to the receiver and what type of connection they use... I think we can get you running 100% with more info.

I know I don't say it enough, but I love you guys!
Mirage52
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 07, 2009, 03:03:05 PM »

I have the DirecTV HD-DVR receiver hooked into it with an optical cable and a Pro-scan DVD player with an optical cable. That's it. Speakers all connected with standard copper wire, the sub connected with a Monster THX cable.

I was mainly talking about lowering/raising the volume on the CC and surround speakers when talking about the functions, etc.... but any advice to can share would be great MF!

Movie Freak
Shriners
Ultimate Member

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 07, 2009, 03:09:45 PM »

I have the DirecTV HD-DVR receiver hooked into it with an optical cable and a Pro-scan DVD player with an optical cable. That's it. Speakers all connected with standard copper wire, the sub connected with a Monster THX cable.

I was mainly talking about lowering/raising the volume on the CC and surround speakers when talking about the functions, etc.... but any advice to can share would be great MF!

Ok, so you want to access the advanced setup functions... got-cha. Yes, it easier with the receiver hooked up to the TV, looking at the back panel of your receiver...

http://www.yamaha.com/YECDealerMedia/adgraphs/products/rx-v565bl_back.jpg

... I see a component or standard yellow video out in the middle. Your TV should have an AUX video input. Once you have the receiver with video out to the TV, go to the menu section of your manual and start from there. I don't know if your onscreen menu will be the same as mine, if it is I can be more helpful, if not your manual should be detailed enough to at least dial in your speaker settings.

Movie Freak
Shriners
Ultimate Member

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 07, 2009, 03:12:35 PM »

Does that HD-DVR have HDMI out? If so, once you get an HDMI capable TV, you are going to be one happy camper.  Wink

Mirage52
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 08, 2009, 07:44:50 AM »

Ok, so you want to access the advanced setup functions... got-cha. Yes, it easier with the receiver hooked up to the TV, looking at the back panel of your receiver...

http://www.yamaha.com/YECDealerMedia/adgraphs/products/rx-v565bl_back.jpg

... I see a component or standard yellow video out in the middle. Your TV should have an AUX video input. Once you have the receiver with video out to the TV, go to the menu section of your manual and start from there. I don't know if your onscreen menu will be the same as mine, if it is I can be more helpful, if not your manual should be detailed enough to at least dial in your speaker settings.

Thnaks Freak. Yeah I am going to hook the receiver up to the TV when I install 7.1. I'll have a friend there to help and he knows this kind of stuff in and out, but I still wish you'd be there to help old buddy!

Mirage52
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 08, 2009, 07:46:01 AM »

Does that HD-DVR have HDMI out? If so, once you get an HDMI capable TV, you are going to be one happy camper.  Wink

Oh yeah... but I am a ways off from upgrading my basement TV. I think we are a few months away from upgrading the bedroom TV to a wall-mounted flatscreen. Then we'll get another HD-DVR receiver and use the HDMI there.

It is exciting being back in the electronics game again!!!

Movie Freak
Shriners
Ultimate Member

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 08, 2009, 02:43:35 PM »

, but I still wish you'd be there to help old buddy!

Me too, nothing better than a couple of friends, a couple of beers and some kick-ass electronics to set up on a nice weekend!!  Cool

Beckmen
Shriners
Ultimate Member

I'm a alien!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: Jun 26, 2009, 06:31:02 PM »

I think my receiver is going bad. It keeps cutting out, and the display flashes 'OVERLOAD'. I haven't recently added anything new to it or anything. Maybe it's just dying of old age (probably 6 or 7 years old)?

My Short Films
My DVD Collection

"When you're pushed...killing's as easy as breathing."
Movie Freak
Shriners
Ultimate Member

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: Jun 26, 2009, 08:57:30 PM »

I think my receiver is going bad. It keeps cutting out, and the display flashes 'OVERLOAD'. I haven't recently added anything new to it or anything. Maybe it's just dying of old age (probably 6 or 7 years old)?

Yep, sounds like the amplifier in the receiver has shit the bed my friend. Upgrade time!

Beckmen
Shriners
Ultimate Member

I'm a alien!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: Jun 26, 2009, 09:34:26 PM »

Upgrade Shmupgrade, I was looking at this: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9245523&type=product&id=1218066769427

My Short Films
My DVD Collection

Movie Freak
Shriners
Ultimate Member

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: Jun 29, 2009, 02:09:33 PM »

For $200 more you could get a nextgen receiver.

Kedrix
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

*The Forgotten One*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: Jun 29, 2009, 02:46:05 PM »

I agree with Freaker, I spent $410 and got an awesome receiver that is the next step up from this and the same brand.  It's certainly good to have a price range, but don't spread yourself too thin when it comes to the receiver. 

Michael Durr
aka
Kedrix of Aldrianian
(*The Forgotten One*)
Beckmen
Shriners
Ultimate Member

I'm a alien!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: Jun 29, 2009, 04:18:20 PM »

Blasted thing went off sale. It was 150. '200 dollars more' than 150 isn't really small potatoes, chief. If I used my surround sound more than once a month, it might be a good deal, but truthfully, I rarely use it. Plus, I am not audiophile.

We'll see. I might just impulse-buy a new one next time I get to Best Buy. Who knows when that'll be, though. Maybe me and my friends will go out to Erie to see Public Enemies or some other upcoming movie.

What should I be looking for for the HDMI, though? I want it to pass-through the audio to the TV when the receiver is off, so I can use the TV's speakers (which I do 95% of the time). Right now I have the PS3 connected via optical, and every time I turn on the surround sound, I have to go into the PS3's settings and switch the audio output from HDMI to Optical, which is a middling bastard. Being free of that would be nice.

My Short Films
My DVD Collection

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: