Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
SMF - Just Installed!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HT issues....  (Read 48549 times)
Beckmen
Shriners
Ultimate Member

I'm a alien!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: Oct 11, 2008, 08:41:04 PM »

Finally bought my own PS3 today. My unit doesn't have the memory card slots, only two USB ports, a bigger HDD, no emotion chip (absolutely zero PS2 game support, I didn't know that, but it's fine for now), and a Dual Shock 3 controller.  I gotta get a BD remote and maybe a USB keyboard sometime. Can you use a normal USB keyboard, or did Sony smoke a cock again and not let you use one? Also, can you charge the DS3 controller using a normal USB port on a computer? I hate how the PS3 needs to be powered on to charge the remote, so you need to leave it on idling to charge it. I guess when I get that remote it won't matter, though.

My Short Films
My DVD Collection

"When you're pushed...killing's as easy as breathing."
teedub
Shriners
Ultimate Member

Pop it to lock it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: Oct 13, 2008, 02:22:50 AM »

Any USB keyboard will work, and don't bother with the remote.  Any PS3 controller will do the trick just fine.

Beckmen
Shriners
Ultimate Member

I'm a alien!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: Oct 13, 2008, 02:44:56 AM »

Cool, I might have to get a USB keyboard someday, since typing does sometimes come up and it's a huge PITA to use a controller to type.

Got the BD remote. It's not too bad, and it will cut down on wear and tear on my DS3 controller. Kind of a pity some buttons were left out, like the instant reply one (real handy button that I use a lot on my Panasonic upscaler), but oh well.

My Short Films
My DVD Collection

Beckmen
Shriners
Ultimate Member

I'm a alien!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: Oct 14, 2008, 11:46:33 PM »

OK, talk to me about optical audio switches. Both the PS3 and DVD player only have optical audio, and my receiver only has one optical input. Amazon has three-port switches, but I know jack and shit about this stuff.

My Short Films
My DVD Collection

Movie Freak
Shriners
Ultimate Member

"And I thought they smelled bad on the outside!"

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Oct 15, 2008, 12:05:39 AM »

OK, talk to me about optical audio switches. Both the PS3 and DVD player only have optical audio, and my receiver only has one optical input. Amazon has three-port switches, but I know jack and shit about this stuff.

Yeah, switches... oh the good'ol days. Dude, this is why you wait and save and then get everything HDMI capable... one cable, no mess, no fuss.  Wink

Anyways, optical switches have been around long enough that the technology is bulletproof. You can spend $10 or you can spend $200... both will do the same, with more or less legwork from you. Most switches under $30 require you to manualy change/switch the source and some over $75 -100 come with a remote.

Like I said, they all do the same thing, all that you need to decide is your budget and if you want to get off the couch to switch signals.

I know I don't say it enough, but I love you guys!
teedub
Shriners
Ultimate Member

Pop it to lock it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: Oct 15, 2008, 10:14:52 AM »

Oh, and as for charging the DS3 controller, I use the same USB extenders that connect my wired USB keyboard to the PS3.  If it needs a charge, I just swap the keyboard out and plug in the DS3.

The PS3 can have HDMI audio out, but I assume that it's the receiver that's causing the bump in that road.

Shriners
Ultimate Member

Dressed for Success!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Oct 15, 2008, 03:09:25 PM »

Speaking of the optical.....Freak, on the back of the Samsungs, is there an optical out?
I have a 360, and will probably get a Blu-Ray player right around the same time.  I have the Pioneer 360 branded HTIB and don't want to upgrade for a little bit after getting the TV.  This HTIB unfortunately only has one optical in.  So could I plug the 360 and Blu-Ray into the TV through HDMI, and then run an optical from the TV to the reciever to have 5.1 audio for both?
In that case, would that also give me sound through my speakers when watching normal TV?

Movie Freak
Shriners
Ultimate Member

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Oct 15, 2008, 04:25:16 PM »

Speaking of the optical.....Freak, on the back of the Samsungs, is there an optical out?
I have a 360, and will probably get a Blu-Ray player right around the same time.  I have the Pioneer 360 branded HTIB and don't want to upgrade for a little bit after getting the TV.  This HTIB unfortunately only has one optical in.  So could I plug the 360 and Blu-Ray into the TV through HDMI, and then run an optical from the TV to the reciever to have 5.1 audio for both?
In that case, would that also give me sound through my speakers when watching normal TV?

Yes, the Samsung has Optical Out. From what I can gather from the manual, you can input from HDMI, but depending on the source, output may be only 2 channel. It will work though.

Beckmen
Shriners
Ultimate Member

I'm a alien!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: Oct 15, 2008, 04:43:34 PM »

Oh, and as for charging the DS3 controller, I use the same USB extenders that connect my wired USB keyboard to the PS3.  If it needs a charge, I just swap the keyboard out and plug in the DS3.

The PS3 can have HDMI audio out, but I assume that it's the receiver that's causing the bump in that road.

Yeah, it is. I don't want to upgrade my receiver. I don't mind having to get up and switch something to go from PS3 surround to DVD surround. Just gotta find a switch that works.

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Explorer-Toslink-Selector-Switch/dp/B0002OF2FC/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1224110253&sr=8-1

This looks OK. I don't know if there is anywhere else to buy...maybe somewhere with free shipping. Or just a better product. Doesn't need to be fancy, it just needs to actually work.

My Short Films
My DVD Collection

Shriners
Ultimate Member

Dressed for Success!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Oct 15, 2008, 05:31:04 PM »

Yes, the Samsung has Optical Out. From what I can gather from the manual, you can input from HDMI, but depending on the source, output may be only 2 channel. It will work though.

Ok so.....depending on the source?  That means I should get 5.1 out of the 360 and BR player, but only stereo out of regular television?  Unless it was an HD broadcast.

Movie Freak
Shriners
Ultimate Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Oct 16, 2008, 03:49:43 PM »

Ok so.....depending on the source?  That means I should get 5.1 out of the 360 and BR player, but only stereo out of regular television?  Unless it was an HD broadcast.

Honestly, the manual was vague at best, I don't have a clue since I only use HDMI.

Shriners
Ultimate Member

Dressed for Success!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Oct 16, 2008, 07:42:28 PM »

It's not a deal breaker anyway, I'm getting the set regardless on December 31st, so I'll find out when I get it.  Thanks for the help.

Movie Freak
Shriners
Ultimate Member

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Oct 17, 2008, 06:30:48 AM »

It's not a deal breaker anyway, I'm getting the set regardless on December 31st, so I'll find out when I get it.  Thanks for the help.

I didn't think it would be a deal breaker... nobody in their right mind would expect a TV to solve all their audio switching needs. You are gonna be so freakin happy.

Shriners
Ultimate Member

Dressed for Success!

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Oct 17, 2008, 05:43:07 PM »

Yea, I'm so incredibly pumped.  I may be able to swing it earlier, but we'll see considering I got some other expense I want to pay off.
My company got bought out by another, and we are switching PTO plans, so on December 31st we are getting a check paying us out all our current PTO time, so we can start under their plan at the start of the new year.  I haven't used any of my vacation just so I can get a big ol check (3 weeks!) that day just for the TV.
I'm probably going to be ordering it from amazon, so when I find out what day they will be shipping it to me, I'm totally requesting that day off and just spend it with my new friend.

Movie Freak
Shriners
Ultimate Member

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Oct 18, 2008, 08:20:45 AM »

NICE!! That's the way to do it, all romantic and shit! lol

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: