Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
SMF - Just Installed!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HT issues....  (Read 46020 times)
Beckmen
Shriners
Ultimate Member

I'm a alien!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: Oct 03, 2008, 12:17:52 AM »

SO I am watching Stargate: Continuum on Blu Ray (PS3), and I just noticed that the sound is out of sync. Just by a little bit, but enough to distract me. AFAIK, neither the PS3 or my TV have options to adjust audio delay to correct it. I am thinking maybe it's the PS3 downgrading the High Falutin' audio to something the TV can actually manage.

What are my options?

Also,. is it me, or can you not power down a PS3 in the middle of a BD and then turn it back on later and resume said BD? That's a pretty epic fail, if you ask me. (I am considering a set-top player at this point)
« Last Edit: Oct 03, 2008, 12:25:22 AM by Beckmen » Logged

My Short Films
My DVD Collection

"When you're pushed...killing's as easy as breathing."
Movie Freak
Shriners
Ultimate Member

"And I thought they smelled bad on the outside!"

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Oct 03, 2008, 06:14:46 AM »

I always say, buy the equipment that you need for it's intended primary use. The PS3 is a GAMING CONSOLE. It just so happens that it can read blyu-ray discs, there's your sign.

Let me be the first to say, "I told you so."

I know I don't say it enough, but I love you guys!
Kedrix
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

*The Forgotten One*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: Oct 03, 2008, 09:24:10 AM »

I actually agree with Freak, plenty of people told me before I bought my upconvert dvd player to just play dvds on my 360 or ps2, but I went ahead and got the dvd player anyway and have been very happy with that purchase.  I'm running into the same quandry with the ps3 and blu-ray now and haven't made a choice either way.  More than likely though, I will just put off the ps3 (since I'm more than happy with the 360) and buy a stand-alone blu-ray and it will replace my upconvert dvd player. Mebee by the christmas, we'll see. 

Michael Durr
aka
Kedrix of Aldrianian
(*The Forgotten One*)
teedub
Shriners
Ultimate Member

Pop it to lock it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: Oct 03, 2008, 11:26:01 AM »

Jeez you guys...the PS3 isn't JUST a gaming console.  It's also a well respected BD player.

Becks:  Head into the settings menu, and there should be a menu for BD AUDIO.  I'm not in front of my console at the moment, but a quick search should find you instructions on setting up the audio outputs for your particular rig.

No need for "I told you so", just a simple setup (one you usually have to do with ANY component you add to your HT) should fix the problem.

Beckmen
Shriners
Ultimate Member

I'm a alien!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: Oct 03, 2008, 03:53:54 PM »

The delays might have been my TV. It seemed to stop doing it. I dunno, I think I noticed that with other sources, too. I turned off all of the stupid (and they are stupid, and ruin the image) video processing 'features' on the TV, but the audio seems to go slightly out of sync every now and then. I guess it's not a big deal, since just rewinding seems to fix it.

Right now what I am most concerned with is the resume feature. I heard that they were supposed to add it to an update back in March, so I would assume this PS3 has it, but maybe not. Can anybody fill me in (not in a sexual way)? Has anybody else been able to power off their PS3s and then resume a BD title when they power the unit back on?

My Short Films
My DVD Collection

Movie Freak
Shriners
Ultimate Member

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Oct 03, 2008, 05:38:50 PM »

Jeez you guys...the PS3 isn't JUST a gaming console.  It's also a well respected BD player.

We're not saying it's bad... we're just saying you don't buy a Vespa to do the work of a Ducati. What I mean is, "one size fits all" and "all in one" seldom do the job %100, there is usually a trade-off. Expecting a PS3 to deliver the perfect Blu-ray experience just ain't gonna happen, it's not designed for that. It's a console that happens to have a Blu-ray drive. Buying it to JUST watch movies is a mistake.

As I said in the Blu-ray forum, the PS3 is an amazing console, it's just too bad nobody is making good games for it.

Beckmen
Shriners
Ultimate Member

I'm a alien!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: Oct 03, 2008, 06:55:00 PM »

What you are saying makes sense, Freak. I mean the PS2's DVD player was really pretty lousy...

I will have to see what models of set-top BD players they have at Wal-Mart and look up reviews.

My Short Films
My DVD Collection

teedub
Shriners
Ultimate Member

Pop it to lock it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: Oct 04, 2008, 09:28:24 AM »

Ok, I'm with you buddy. Smiley

Just sounded rather harsh with the "I told you so".

As for the resume function, I haven't been able to get it to work properly either. I have no advice on that one. If you figure it out let me know.

Beckmen
Shriners
Ultimate Member

I'm a alien!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: Oct 07, 2008, 05:39:31 PM »

Hmm, never read that post. Stupid 'view unread messages' thing is glitchy sometimes.

I am now about 90% sure I will be buying a PS3. Games, BDs, and a media center (if I can figure out how to fix the sync with this mkv2ps3 program). The Blu-ray player leaves a lot to be desired, but it'll do for now until I buy a real unit sometime...maybe in a few months, maybe black friday. We'll see.

EDIT: Oh, and the PS3's controller uses WiFi/Bluetooth or whatever, so you don't have to point the fucker at the device. I was controlling Iron Man from my bathroom. A minor, but notable perk. IR remotes should be a thing of the past by now!
« Last Edit: Oct 08, 2008, 06:45:40 AM by Beckmen » Logged

My Short Films
My DVD Collection

Mirage52
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Oct 08, 2008, 07:44:10 AM »

I'm still dealing with some static/weak signal problems coming from my front right speaker. I think that channel in my receiver is busted. I am probably going to wait until Christmas to get a new one, but until then I am just dealing with it. Some times it works fine, sometimes it doesn't.

Other than that, I am in no hurry to upgrade my other, now somewhat outdated equipment. I still enjoy watching regular DVD's and the occasional HD movie on my DVR.

Who's house? Run's house.
Beckmen
Shriners
Ultimate Member

I'm a alien!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: Oct 09, 2008, 11:45:32 PM »

Does anybody have one of those newfangled 120Hz TVs? I was just reading that 120Hz means a framerate thing, something closer to 24p, since 120 is divisible by 24 or whatever.

Kind of sounds like a load of bull to me, though. You get a TV that does 3:2 pulldown or whatever and it looks fine...

My Short Films
My DVD Collection

Movie Freak
Shriners
Ultimate Member

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Oct 10, 2008, 06:23:24 AM »

Does anybody have one of those newfangled 120Hz TVs? I was just reading that 120Hz means a framerate thing, something closer to 24p, since 120 is divisible by 24 or whatever.

Framerate and refresh or signal rate are kind of the same, but different. Depends on the source.

Frames = films

Hz = tv/video/digital video

120hz is meant to smooth out a shitty signal, or lower res signal like current HD TV content. Most modern sets like my own convert the 60i signal from the cable box to a 120hz picture, to cut down on artifacting and jaggies in broadcast tv. It works, most of the time. It's not a total cure, but it makes the biggest difference with sports and auto racing.

Blu-ray on the other hand is a pure signal. There is no need to do any of the upconverting or signal/Hz boosting for a source that is purely what most modern monitors were made for, 1920x1080p@24. Unless the movie was filmed using video capture or the master was on video in which case the Blu-ray player would output a 1920x1080p@60 if thats the way the disc was manufactured.

Make sense?

teedub
Shriners
Ultimate Member

Pop it to lock it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: Oct 10, 2008, 11:41:01 AM »

Becks, RE:"resume function" on the PS3:

I popped in the Blade Runner BD to show someone, and the film resumed from where I last left it.  I think you have to press "Stop" before quitting the playback to bookmark the position.  Give it a try and let me know if it works for you.

Beckmen
Shriners
Ultimate Member

I'm a alien!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: Oct 10, 2008, 04:18:08 PM »

It sure doesn't. Tried it with both Stargate: Continuum and Forgetting Sarah Marshall, by stopping, then trying to go back to the disc, stopping, turning the unit off and back on, and stopping, ejecting the disc, and putting it back in. Always wound back up at the FBI screens.

It is the 60GB model, with the emotion chip. That shouldn't matter, though should it? (when I buy my own, it'll be the 80gb model)

My Short Films
My DVD Collection

Shriners
Ultimate Member

Dressed for Success!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Oct 11, 2008, 04:00:38 PM »

It sure doesn't. Tried it with both Stargate: Continuum and Forgetting Sarah Marshall, by stopping, then trying to go back to the disc, stopping, turning the unit off and back on, and stopping, ejecting the disc, and putting it back in. Always wound back up at the FBI screens.

It is the 60GB model, with the emotion chip. That shouldn't matter, though should it? (when I buy my own, it'll be the 80gb model)

Speaking of Forgetting Sarah Marshall....anyone else see it and think it wasn't very good.  It had a few jokes here and there that made me laugh pretty good, but other than that, it wasn't as good as a lot of reviews made it out to be, IMO.  It was a lot more "girly" than I anticipated, for lack of a better term.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: