Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
SMF - Just Installed!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HT issues....  (Read 43533 times)
Mirage52
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

View Profile
« on: Feb 05, 2008, 09:26:35 AM »

OK, so I am watching TV last night with my audio receiver. I notice that there's some distortion coming through the speakers, like there is a loose connection or something. Lots of crackling, intermittent sound loss, almost like the speaker is blown, but it's not.

So I take apart the HT stand (I f-cking hate doing this) and get behind my TV and check the connections. Now, I've ghetto rigged some wire connections because speaker wire wasn't long enough from where it comes out of the wall, so I've spliced some wires together and wrapped tape around the copper wire so they don't touch each other. I reconnect some splices, make sure everything looks good, and I've still go the same problem. Crackling, sound loss, weak signals, etc...

So I'm just messing around with stuff, moving the speaker wire around as I have my audio receiver test signal on. The problem seems connected to the speaker wire moving so I'm determined it's the ghetto-rigged connections. Anyway, it eventually goes away, but just from moving the speaker wires around. So I put together my HT stand, everything seems OK now.

But I am worried that the problem will start again. I think what I need to do is just start over from scratch. Take out all my components, dust them, clean them, etc.... buy new speaker wire and replace all the old crap that I've had for years, do the splices the best I can, and hope that that fixes things. I hope to god it's not the audio receiver starting to go up... but I don't think it is because this is only happening in certain speakers -- and it's not the speakers themselves. So it's gotta be the connections.

Anyone know what it could be? And is there something you can buy to splice wires together? Like how you splice electric wires together with this twist caps?

I really think it's my ghetto rigged connections. Any help would be appreciated.

Who's house? Run's house.
teedub
Shriners
Ultimate Member

Pop it to lock it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2008, 10:40:56 AM »

Start with replacing the speaker wire, I wouldn't bother with twist caps.  It's probably the most inexpensive part and likely the source of the problem based on what you've said.

Movie Freak
Shriners
Ultimate Member

"And I thought they smelled bad on the outside!"

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2008, 05:49:02 PM »

I don't understand why you need to have splices in your wires. Run new wire directly from your receiver to your speakers and you'll never have to worry again.

Ghetto in = Ghetto out. Don't be a cheap bastard! Wink

I know I don't say it enough, but I love you guys!
teedub
Shriners
Ultimate Member

Pop it to lock it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2008, 11:25:44 PM »

Uh yeah, what I said...  Wink

Mirage52
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 06, 2008, 09:39:48 AM »

I don't understand why you need to have splices in your wires. Run new wire directly from your receiver to your speakers and you'll never have to worry again.

Ghetto in = Ghetto out. Don't be a cheap bastard! Wink

That was the idea when we originally finished off the basement. I ran all my speaker wire behind the walls to hide them. But when we installed the drywall and the trim, the wires wouldn't move from their openings in the wall so I couldn't pull enough out to fit into the receiver/speakers... so splicing was necessary.

Is there a better way to splice the wires? I haven't had a problem in 10 years of splicing wires together until now. Is there such a think as twist caps for speaker wire splices?

Mirage52
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 06, 2008, 09:42:46 AM »

Yeah, I need to get some of these....

teedub
Shriners
Ultimate Member

Pop it to lock it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: Feb 06, 2008, 12:49:36 PM »

They're called Marrettes up here.  If you have to use them, I guess they'll work, but definitely not ideal.

If you're having audio problems, you may want to consider rewiring.  I know I would.

Mirage52
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 06, 2008, 01:20:12 PM »

They're called Marrettes up here.  If you have to use them, I guess they'll work, but definitely not ideal.

If you're having audio problems, you may want to consider rewiring.  I know I would.

Here's the thing... I've got speaker wire run through the walls. The points where they come out of the walls is the problem. There is not enough to reach the speakers/receiver, so splicing is necessary. I am going to replace all the spliced speaker wire and use the wire nuts for connections. It's gotta beat electrical tape. Plus I am going to dust off everything and clean it up the best I can. Right now the back of my TV while all hidden, is a clusterfuck of wires.

Hopefully that will help.

teedub
Shriners
Ultimate Member

Pop it to lock it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: Feb 06, 2008, 03:05:23 PM »

I knew you had the wires hidden in the walls, I hope this quick fix works out for you.  If there's anyway to hide them under the carpet, I'd do that if possible, rather than through the wall.

We're ghetto at our house.  The wire to the rears are fixed to the carpet with packing tape.  I just couldn't be bothered.  Smiley

Mirage52
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Feb 06, 2008, 03:40:48 PM »

I must say that even though I splice, and splice often, the sound has never suffered for it as far as I can tell... of course, until recently.

Movie Freak
Shriners
Ultimate Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Feb 06, 2008, 06:27:12 PM »

I must say that even though I splice, and splice often, the sound has never suffered for it as far as I can tell... of course, until recently.

Spend more than $4000 on speakers and you'll know the difference. Wink

Mirage52
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Feb 07, 2008, 08:41:40 AM »

I've probably got about $1500 wrapped up in speakers... sounds fine to me.

As for my problems, I think I am going to wait, and the next time it starts acting up I will commit a day to cleaning up my system, re-splicing wires, etc... I just don't want to deal with it until I am forced to.

Movie Freak
Shriners
Ultimate Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Feb 08, 2008, 05:42:41 PM »

I've probably got about $1500 wrapped up in speakers...

Cool, that's what my sub cost!  Cheesy

Mirage52
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Feb 08, 2008, 09:37:55 PM »

Go lay a brick, fucker.

Movie Freak
Shriners
Ultimate Member

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Feb 08, 2008, 11:38:20 PM »

Go lay a brick, fucker.

You know I still love you.  Tongue

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: