Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
SMF - Just Installed!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Your HT settings...  (Read 11303 times)
Mirage52
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

View Profile
« on: Dec 13, 2007, 11:28:14 AM »

What settings do you have for your HT?

I was watching the "dome breach" scene from Matrix Revolutions last night and I noticed that the DVD is pretty lacking in deep bass. Does anyone else notice this? I wanted to turn up the subwoofer, but I held back.

Anyway, I got to messing around with my settings a bit.

For my HT, my Yamaha receiver allows me to adjust the individual volume for the center channel, subwoofer and surround speakers.

On a scale from 1 - 10, I currently have the cc set at +3, subwoofer set at 0 (highest it'll go) and surrounds set at +3.

I think I need to turn the center channel down a bit so the front speakers will be a bit more aggressive. But by turning the overall volume up, it makes the surrounds too loud at +3.

So I think I may turn down the surrounds to 0, turn down the center to 0 or -2 and just crank up the volume to get a more involved sound stage.

I may also have to put the A/V set-up DVD back in and re-do my settings to make sure I haven't screwed things up too much. I think it sounds good as is, but I want to get the most from it.

What does everyone else do?

Who's house? Run's house.
Beckmen
Shriners
Ultimate Member

I'm a alien!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2007, 11:45:39 AM »

Subwoofer cranked to max, I think. Still can't get explosions to sound booming enough, though.

The rear channels are at +3 or something. Used to be cranked because I could never fucking hear anything coming from them, but I think it was because my room shape dis-allowed me from setting it up right. Now it's much better (in the newer house), but still not perfect.

My TV has it's sharpness cranked to max, and it still looks soft. I am 95% sure it's a factory calibration fuck up or something, though. The contrast is below the 'normal' line, as is the color. Whites were getting too glowy recently, so I turned it down. Brightness is well above the line, which is incorrect because black screens are dark gray...but I don't know any other way of dealing with the terrible black crush that this piece of shit has. If I had the black level adjusted correctly, any kind of dark clothing or areas of the screen would be a detail-less abyss of blackness.

My friend has his surround sound on a DSP setting ('studio' maybe) that gives him a massive reverb. It sounds like shit, but he refuses to turn it off. No clue why he likes it that way.

My Short Films
My DVD Collection

"When you're pushed...killing's as easy as breathing."
Mirage52
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2007, 12:55:32 PM »

Becks, is your TV HD? If so, sharpness does nothing to enhance the picture. Turn it all the way down and see what that does. It may actually help.

Movie Freak
Shriners
Ultimate Member

"And I thought they smelled bad on the outside!"

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2007, 05:03:15 PM »

Well, my sub is the size of a LazyBoy, so it's set to 60%... still shakes the shit out of the house. The final battle in Transformers (when whats-his-name transforms and flips over that chick that's screaming) is absolutely insane... retarded some have said. Just the way I like it, not TOO loud, but THICK and full as hell.

I played that dome breach scene Mirage, and my ass was shaking on the couch, so it's got to be something in your setup. You should almost get a little bass pulse from each round fired from every cannon. What size and type of speakers/sub are you running?

My center is +1db, my fronts are 0 as are my rears.

Does your sub or reciever have a proper crossover setting? Me thinks that is where the issue is.

I know I don't say it enough, but I love you guys!
Mirage52
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2007, 09:06:48 PM »

Well cripes if your sub is the size of a La-z-boy I would hope that sucker rocks the house, even during an episode of Grey's Anatomy!

Anyway, I have an Infinity 10-inch, and I don't see no switch for a crossover. The sub is great, I love it... I just noticed that it is a little light for certain movies. Matrix Reloaded was one of them and Pirates of the Caribbean was another. There are a ton of lows in the POTC music but the actual sound from the film, like explosions and stuff, fails to get me wet if you know what I mean. It always has. Whereas cannon shots from M&C sound deep and pure, the explosions in POTC are kind of tinny if you know what I mean.

I think it has more to do with the movie than my set-up. Put in Master and Commander, Star Wars or King King and the sucker rocks like nothing else.

teedub
Shriners
Ultimate Member

Pop it to lock it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: Dec 14, 2007, 10:48:49 AM »

I actually liken Freak's sub to a coffee table.  Seriously, it's the biggest sub I've ever seen, it's terrifying.

And before anyone else has the chance, I'm not talking about this:

And yes, I added that fantastic slogan.

Justin Cleveland
« Reply #6 on: Dec 14, 2007, 12:53:00 PM »

It's impossible to get an across-the-board generalization for HT settings because every room is different, speaker and receiver combos are different, etc.

I will say that the auto-set feature on my receiver dialed my center to -5.  I had to crank it to +10 to hear the dialogue.
Movie Freak
Shriners
Ultimate Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Dec 14, 2007, 04:47:08 PM »

Well cripes if your sub is the size of a La-z-boy I would hope that sucker rocks the house, even during an episode of Grey's Anatomy!

Anyway, I have an Infinity 10-inch, and I don't see no switch for a crossover. The sub is great, I love it... I just noticed that it is a little light for certain movies. Matrix Reloaded was one of them and Pirates of the Caribbean was another. There are a ton of lows in the POTC music but the actual sound from the film, like explosions and stuff, fails to get me wet if you know what I mean. It always has. Whereas cannon shots from M&C sound deep and pure, the explosions in POTC are kind of tinny if you know what I mean.

I think it has more to do with the movie than my set-up. Put in Master and Commander, Star Wars or King King and the sucker rocks like nothing else.

What are the basic dimesions of your viewing room (I've forgotten since I last snuck into your house)? If it's a powered sub it should have at least to dials on the back, not switches. One dial would be for volume and the other should be for crossover. Some higher end subs have a third dial that is for phase. The only switch you should see is power on/off, unless it's like mine that is auto on/off based on signal sent to the sub.

Last but not least, 9 times out of 10, the best place for your sub is in a corner... not always though. The fact that you get good bass from some films and not others would dictate sub placement isn't an issue. But, anything is possible when low frequency sound is involved.

Movie Freak
Shriners
Ultimate Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Dec 14, 2007, 04:55:07 PM »

Mirage, whats the model # of that sub, I wanna take a closer look at it.

Mirage52
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Dec 16, 2007, 08:40:38 PM »

Nut sure but there are the dials you speak of. I currently have the settings like so....

Volume - half way up

Frequency - 80 Mz

My room dimensions are about 10.5 feet by 18 feet.

From what I can tell the sub is an Infinity 10-inch, BU-2. There was a E47292 number on it. Not sure if that is what you are looking for.

Movie Freak
Shriners
Ultimate Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Dec 17, 2007, 09:16:32 PM »

Nut sure but there are the dials you speak of. I currently have the settings like so....

Volume - half way up

Frequency - 80 Mz

My room dimensions are about 10.5 feet by 18 feet.

From what I can tell the sub is an Infinity 10-inch, BU-2. There was a E47292 number on it. Not sure if that is what you are looking for.

From what I've read it has a range of 30hz - 150... set that puppy to 120 and it should sound WAY more full.
But of course, you may have to adjust the volume on the receiver or the sub... depending on the movie.

Mirage52
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Dec 28, 2007, 01:13:48 PM »

I kept it the same and watched Live Free or Die Hard. I thought the woofer was going to implode and the sconces on the wall would shatter. What a difference!

Also, I turned the center channel down to -2 and noticed that the L and R speakers are more distinctive as well as the surrounds. I think I will keep it that way for a while.

Movie Freak
Shriners
Ultimate Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Dec 30, 2007, 09:47:37 AM »

I kept it the same and watched Live Free or Die Hard. I thought the woofer was going to implode and the sconces on the wall would shatter. What a difference!

Also, I turned the center channel down to -2 and noticed that the L and R speakers are more distinctive as well as the surrounds. I think I will keep it that way for a while.

Bingo! Implossions are the best!!! BANG!!!

Mirage52
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jan 02, 2008, 09:08:36 AM »

BTW, also watched Dead Man's Chest and the A/V specs on that film are soooo much better than the first one. Holy Crap! Also a much better movie overall!

Beckmen
Shriners
Ultimate Member

I'm a alien!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: Oct 06, 2008, 03:59:00 PM »

I spent about half an hour, maybe more last night, trying to calibrate my TV to get the best over-all picture. Black levels are pretty wrong, but turning down the brightness just destroys picture detail in dark areas. So I turned the contrast all the way up, which made black levels look a lot better, but still not perfect. White levels look OK...a little hot, but it doesn't look too bad. Must have been a fucked up factory calibration, just like my Sony had with sharpness. (Meaning that you max the setting out, and it doesn't look right still...they must have the baseline setting low?)

There was this setting, 'Dynamic Contrast', which really evened out the picture. Dark scenes looked pretty good with it on, but then light sources were completely bloomed out. It was a real Sophie's Choice kind of thing. I can either have light black levels and not great detail in darker areas of the picture, or a more accurate black level with nice shadow detail and no detail in the really bright areas.

I actually was strongly considering buying a 720p plasma set, because the viewing angle thing is such a pain in the ass with how close I sit from my TV. I have people telling me "Sit further back", but what would be the point of having a larger TV if from my POV, the screen was the same size? With plasma, viewing angle doesn't even factor in. The 50" Sanyo they had at WM looked pretty good, too. But I am probably both too concerned with lifespan and too lazy to try and exchange it. We'll see, though

My Short Films
My DVD Collection

"When you're pushed...killing's as easy as breathing."
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: