Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
SMF - Just Installed!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dust off the classics (or not so classics)!  (Read 18221 times)
teedub
Shriners
Ultimate Member

Pop it to lock it.

View Profile WWW
« on: Jan 03, 2007, 12:23:12 PM »

I thought I'd start a thread to commemorate the viewing of a potentially dusty disc in your collection.  One that stays on your shelf, but maybe doesn't garner the attention it may (or may not) deserve.

We dusted off the LOTR:EE Trilogy for the holidays, and just finished ROTK last night.  I seriously can't believe how awesome these movies truly are.  Even though my wife and I found ourselves sitting for 4 hours at a time, over 3 days, we didn't nod off once, and were riveted by the story.  Just excellent filmmaking and storytelling.  I will definitely be revisiting these 2 times a year, at least.  It had been over a year since I had last watched ROTK, and had never sat down for consecutive viewings of the Trilogy.  I'll be checking out the cast commentary for ROTK this weekend.

Anyone else inspired to crack open a dusty case?  Wink
« Last Edit: Jan 03, 2007, 12:29:38 PM by teedub » Logged

zenje
Shriners
Ultimate Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2007, 12:28:41 PM »

Quote from: teedub
We dusted off the LOTR:EE Trilogy for the holidays...
Hah, that's exactly what I did!  Grin But I just ended up watching the one... with interruptions.  Sad One day though...

The movie I really enjoyed not too long ago was Memento, another awesome movie that gets you almost everytime.

I'm listening to the music with no fear.
You can hear it too if you're sincere.
BelmontATO

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2007, 12:38:01 PM »

I had the classic King Kong tin sitting on my shelf for almost a year before I finally got around to watching it over the long weekend. What a truly fantastic film and Special Edition release! That one definitely deserves a second look.
Mirage52
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2007, 04:29:08 PM »

I really need to re-watch the entire trilogy again. I've got the original release of FOTR, but the EE's for both TTT and ROTK. I haven't watched ROTK at home yet, and I've had it for over a year. Yep, I'm a slacker!

The final 30 mins of King Kong are among the best in DVD history when it comes to A/V.

Who's house? Run's house.
teedub
Shriners
Ultimate Member

Pop it to lock it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2007, 07:08:38 PM »

Slightly OT, but I'm going to watch the Appendices for FOTR right now...  Cheesy

Tommy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 04, 2007, 09:32:10 AM »

I'm waiting one more year before I marathon the entire LOTR:EE Trilogy. Haven't watched any of them since last year, but it will be even sweeter the longer I wait.

I recently convinced my wife to watch Jaws for the first time. It's one of my favourite films, and it had been a long while since I last viewed my DVD. That film is fantastic every time. I love the tattoo conversation on the boat.
Beckmen
Shriners
Ultimate Member

I'm a alien!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: Jan 04, 2007, 12:00:52 PM »

Over the holidays I dusted off...

Santa's Slay
Bad Santa
Die Hard
Die Hard 2
Lethal Weapon
Lethal Weapon 2
Lethal Weapon 3
Lethal Weapon 4 (most of it anyway)

My Short Films
My DVD Collection

"When you're pushed...killing's as easy as breathing."
teedub
Shriners
Ultimate Member

Pop it to lock it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: Jan 04, 2007, 12:05:48 PM »

WOW!  That's a full slate!  I've got to run through all my unseen ones before I tackle any more dusty titles.

nonametofame

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2007, 02:28:45 PM »

I had Backdraft on HD since the day it came out. Never saw it because of the weak release on dvd. Finally got around to dusting it off and breaking the seal. Not only is it a great HD transfer, with outstanding PQ and AQ, but it's a darn fine movie. Truly a must own for HD owners. I'm pretty much caught up on all my Hd movies. DVDs are a whole nother story. A giant build up of cellophane and dust.
Beckmen
Shriners
Ultimate Member

I'm a alien!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2007, 05:08:27 PM »

I had the old Backdraft DVD a while back. Got it in a two-pack with Apollo 13. Looked like crap even on my 13" RF TV IIRC, and the aspect ratio was wrong, too. Didn't fig the movie, so I traded it for something. On here, maybe. I think I got Analyze This or Six Days, Seven Nights for it.

My Short Films
My DVD Collection

Kedrix
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

*The Forgotten One*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2007, 12:09:19 PM »

Ever since I bought that 42" plasma, I've been meaning to rewatch some of my dvds so I could enjoy the difference.  Mostly I've been playing 360 games and watching hd/sd tv.  I'm almost thinking now to buy my upconvert dvd player (waiting on my best buy rewards certificates) and then start rewatching what I have.  I dunno Smiley

Michael Durr
aka
Kedrix of Aldrianian
(*The Forgotten One*)
Beckmen
Shriners
Ultimate Member

I'm a alien!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: Jan 23, 2007, 03:09:12 PM »

Upconvert DVD players are cool and all, but I can't help thinking a REAL HD player would be in order. They upconvert as well, you know...

My Short Films
My DVD Collection

Kedrix
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

*The Forgotten One*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: Jan 23, 2007, 03:35:51 PM »

Upconvert DVD players are cool and all, but I can't help thinking a REAL HD player would be in order. They upconvert as well, you know...

Yeah I agree with that except I just can't bite into either format when 1)I don't know who is going to win and/or 2)a combo player will eventually make its head somewhere, just a matter of when.  There is no way I'm getting stuck with the Beta of the two Smiley

Michael Durr
aka
Kedrix of Aldrianian
(*The Forgotten One*)
teedub
Shriners
Ultimate Member

Pop it to lock it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: Jan 23, 2007, 07:49:20 PM »

Upconverting players are inexpensive, and well worth it, until the HD dust settles.

teedub
Shriners
Ultimate Member

Pop it to lock it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: Jan 18, 2008, 02:20:26 PM »

A year later, and I'm still happy with the upconverting player.  Very nice.

And on topic, I recently dusted off Scarface, Evil Dead 2, and some classic Simpsons episodes.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: