Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
SMF - Just Installed!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 360 HD-DVD Drive  (Read 31542 times)
Shriners
Ultimate Member

Dressed for Success!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Jan 01, 2008, 11:39:07 AM »

Well, you're probably right.....with my current equipment I probably won't see too much of a difference, but I like to future proof the equipment I buy as much as possible.  I may not have the TV for it now, but I am sure in a year or so I will, and I don't want to regret not having the ability.  Also, the 360 drive is still cheaper and takes up a lot less space on my TV stand since I can stack it on my 360.  Its definitely what I am leaning towards more, unless they throw another $99 Toshiba deal at me.

Beckmen
Shriners
Ultimate Member

I'm a alien!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: Jan 01, 2008, 07:58:57 PM »

TVs do a good job of 3:2 pulldown anyway, don't they? It's not like 1080i sets show the line-infested fields like you see when you watch interlaced material on a TV. I won't deny that 1080p is preferred, but you have to ask yourself how much you are willing to pay for that p on the end. Right now, the A30 goes for 400 dollars, doesn't it? Is it worth paying double for progressive support?

I suppose if you can get a 1080p X-Box 360 HD-DVD drive for around the same price as a Tosh A3, that might be worth it. Depending on how much of a concern 360 over-use is for you. I would probably be worried about stressing the system more than necessary, since they are so prone to breaking down. That's the main reason I mentioned the A3. Just giving my amateur input here, though.

My Short Films
My DVD Collection

"When you're pushed...killing's as easy as breathing."
Shriners
Ultimate Member

Dressed for Success!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Jan 02, 2008, 07:01:16 AM »

Well I picked up the newly branded 360 with HDMI port and better, cooler motherboard.  I think, for the most part anyway, these new ones have the RROD situated so I shouldn't run into many problems with mine.  Correct me if I'm wrong if anyone knows of issues with these too.

Mirage52
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Jan 02, 2008, 12:59:36 PM »

With no HDMI output on the HD-DVD player, aren't you not getting all you should with an HD-DVD player?

I've seen a movie on the XBOX 360 HD-DVD player and one on a Blu-Ray and the BR looks 10x better.

Need those HDMI's.

Who's house? Run's house.
Movie Freak
Shriners
Ultimate Member

"And I thought they smelled bad on the outside!"

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Jan 02, 2008, 04:31:20 PM »

With no HDMI output on the HD-DVD player, aren't you not getting all you should with an HD-DVD player?

I've seen a movie on the XBOX 360 HD-DVD player and one on a Blu-Ray and the BR looks 10x better.

Need those HDMI's.

You're getting a 360'd version of HD-DVD with the add-on. Now that I've been through 4 players including the 360 add-on, I can say with experience, a stand-alone player is night and day better.

I know I don't say it enough, but I love you guys!
Justin Cleveland
« Reply #35 on: Jan 03, 2008, 09:35:01 AM »

Need those HDMI's.

You're getting a 360'd version of HD-DVD with the add-on. Now that I've been through 4 players including the 360 add-on, I can say with experience, a stand-alone player is night and day better.
I agree with the junior member from Winnipeg. (I just wanted to call the zombie Junior.)
Movie Freak
Shriners
Ultimate Member

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Jan 04, 2008, 12:12:00 AM »

Need those HDMI's.

I agree with the junior member from Winnipeg. (I just wanted to call the zombie Junior.)

...no god...

Shriners
Ultimate Member

Dressed for Success!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Jan 14, 2008, 12:43:06 PM »

These have been plummeting on eBay.  I can get one with like 7 movies for 100 bucks.  Once I see this down to like 80, I'm all over it.

Shriners
Ultimate Member

Dressed for Success!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Feb 27, 2008, 01:37:24 PM »

Well, I know its kinda pointless now, but all stores have it for 49.99 and I think I am going to go ahead and pick it up today at Best Buy.  I got a 10% off coupon, and $10 in RZ points, so I am pretty much going to be paying $40 for 6 movies (King Kong + 5 free Mail-in), which aint too shabby in my opinion.  Then I'll sell the DVD versions of the movies I'm getting duplicates of, and probably come out as a free upgrade.
Since I use my 360 as my DVD player, this will keep wear and tear off the main disc drive and I'll be able to buy any firesale prices on HD DVD that come along any time here.  I know this is all just justification for a bad investment, but it seems pretty solid to me.

Mirage52
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Feb 27, 2008, 04:19:06 PM »

Enjoy it while you can. The picture, even without the HDMI, is solid.

Who's house? Run's house.
Beckmen
Shriners
Ultimate Member

I'm a alien!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: Feb 28, 2008, 12:54:07 AM »

Just an FYI, amazon has the HD-A3 for like 83 bucks now. No free shipping sadly, but nice to see the price is really plummeting. Almost at the point where I say "OK, I'm doin' it!"

My Short Films
My DVD Collection

"When you're pushed...killing's as easy as breathing."
teedub
Shriners
Ultimate Member

Pop it to lock it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: Feb 28, 2008, 08:58:35 AM »

I wouldn't call it a "bad investment".  The technology is still competitive, it's just not being supported anymore.  HD at an ultra low price seems like a good deal to me.  Nothing wrong with gathering as much HD-DVD as you can at a bargain price.  It still looks and sounds awesome.  Well done!

Shriners
Ultimate Member

Dressed for Success!

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Feb 28, 2008, 09:35:24 AM »

Got it last night.  Its much bulkier than I thought originally, but not too bad.  Didn't get to check it out too much as I ended up playing Rock Band most of the night.
Added bonus though, it is nice being able to keep the game I am playing in the 360 as opposed to have to constantly swap discs when going from watching movies to playing games.  Small, but appreciated.

Movie Freak
Shriners
Ultimate Member

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Feb 28, 2008, 05:28:19 PM »

Added bonus though, it is nice being able to keep the game I am playing in the 360 as opposed to have to constantly swap discs when going from watching movies to playing games.  Small, but appreciated.

Thats why I loved the idea of it, sadly it just didn't have the features I need for my system. Which is too bad, because its a hell of a deal.

Shriners
Ultimate Member

Dressed for Success!

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Feb 29, 2008, 01:00:50 AM »

You don't know how much it means to me to have your bloody head of approval. Wink

Speaking of avatars, I might have to bring back good ol' dressed for success Seigfried, or are there better ones out there now?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: