Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
SMF - Just Installed!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 360 HD-DVD Drive  (Read 30816 times)
Shriners
Ultimate Member

Dressed for Success!

View Profile
« on: Jul 26, 2007, 09:24:38 AM »

http://www.engadget.com/2007/07/26/xbox-360-hd-dvd-player-now-just-179/

They are lowering the price to $179 in August, and you get five free HD-DVDs with purchase.  This almost evens out, considering the movies are $25-30 a pop.

I am really tempted by this.  I don't have a 360 yet, but plan to get one later in the year.  But in between now and getting one, there is supposedly a very easy way to hook the drive up to your PC.

My question is, do you think it would look good enough on my 1440x900 monitor to make this a purchase thats worth it?

Kedrix
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

*The Forgotten One*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: Jul 26, 2007, 10:24:35 AM »

Me too, to be honest...especially with my birthday in August (19th for those scoring at home), but the selection of 15 titles that we have to choose 5 is downright awful.  I think I found 4 on a maybe whim and that's about it.  That and I own a 360 preminum so its over component.  That and my 2 HDMI ports are taken up by an upconvert dvd and my satellite.  So it's a push for me I guess.

Michael Durr
aka
Kedrix of Aldrianian
(*The Forgotten One*)
Shriners
Ultimate Member

Dressed for Success!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 26, 2007, 12:19:27 PM »

True, the selection ain't the best, but like Sky Captain would be a really good one.  And the others I could just sell on eBay to recoupe the cost of the player.

My TV at the moment doesn't have an HMDI port, and I have no 360, so this would be totally just hooked up to my 19" widescreen monitor for a good while.

Also, since this is a seperate drive, does it require a certain PC spec, or does it handle all the processing, and it would be just the display that is being used?

Kedrix
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

*The Forgotten One*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: Jul 26, 2007, 02:22:46 PM »

The 360 handles all of the processing issues, your display is the only thing in question; and unfortunately you need a 360 as well.  That is the reason it costs only $180 :/.  Sowwie, but I think you can hook up a computer monitor to a 360 depending if you go out and get another cable for it. 

Michael Durr
aka
Kedrix of Aldrianian
(*The Forgotten One*)
Brian W

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 26, 2007, 02:52:23 PM »

my understanding is that you can hook it up to a PC and then use PowerDVD. there is a thread over at AVSforums.com for it. i do love my 360, but the fan is loud. you might want to consider a HD-A2 instead. CC has them for under 240 + 10% off AAA coupon = $216 + same 5 free movies. just a thought  Wink
also I think Robert over at ValueElectronics has a deal right now for even less than that plus a free HDMI cable.
« Last Edit: Jul 26, 2007, 03:00:56 PM by Brian W » Logged
Kedrix
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

*The Forgotten One*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: Jul 26, 2007, 03:01:10 PM »

heh, okay...nebeermind.  My 360's fan is loud, but not the 360 itself.  Actually after the first minute it is kinda soothing.  Sorry, it's the end of the day and I want to go home....so I'm a bit off.  Smiley

Michael Durr
aka
Kedrix of Aldrianian
(*The Forgotten One*)
Beckmen
Shriners
Ultimate Member

I'm a alien!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: Jul 26, 2007, 10:21:25 PM »

But....isn't HD-DVD on the outs?

My Short Films
My DVD Collection

"When you're pushed...killing's as easy as breathing."
Brian W

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 27, 2007, 08:07:02 AM »

nope. not whatsoever. while there are more PS3s in homes than HD DVD players right now, with new promotions going on, HD DVD players are easily selling 2:1 or more than BD standalone players. Wait until this fall/winter, HD has Star Trek original series, Harry Potter box set, Blade Runner 5 discs "final cut, and plenty more coming. My guess is HD-A2's will be down below $149 by then making it much more feasible for the average person to buy into. That's just my speculation however.  Grin
Beckmen
Shriners
Ultimate Member

I'm a alien!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: Jul 27, 2007, 11:21:14 AM »

Blade Runner, I think, is going to be format neutral.

For 150, I might get a HD-DVD player. I dunno.

My Short Films
My DVD Collection

Brian W

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jul 27, 2007, 12:38:32 PM »

yes, Blade Runner is neutral. Probably Harry Potter will be too. But lets say some fans want to buy one of these..which player will they choose? I would bet the cheaper one!  btw. to me, it doesn't matter HD/BD, I just think what's the point of having an HDTV if you aren't using it for HD content? The majority of people out there don't even realize they aren't getting high definition pictures on their fancy new TVs...
Beckmen
Shriners
Ultimate Member

I'm a alien!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: Jul 27, 2007, 02:28:16 PM »

I just think what's the point of having an HDTV if you aren't using it for HD content?

For me, 16x9 and progressive scan. Though I am pretty impressed with the fake HD image that my upscaling player gives me. I still have yet to see a difference between SD and HD content. I had an X-Box 360 on it doing 480p and didn't even realize. I switched it to 1080i and barely saw a difference. Nothing has yet to lift my skepticism. It's not that I think HD doesn't look good, I have seen some great in-store displays. It's just that my TV, a CRT that only boasts 34 inches, can only look so good. I hope to be proven wrong, but I lack the faith to spend the money to take the HD plunge.

My Short Films
My DVD Collection

zenje
Shriners
Ultimate Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jul 27, 2007, 06:58:58 PM »

I'm with you dude. I am yet to be "blown away" with HD, even 1080p. So unless the prices go down a heck of a lot, I'll stay right where I am. Cool

I'm listening to the music with no fear.
You can hear it too if you're sincere.
Shriners
Ultimate Member

Dressed for Success!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jul 27, 2007, 10:00:32 PM »

Well you gotta remember, HD is about sound as well, in which the sound quality blows away standard DVD fare given you have the right equipment.

zenje
Shriners
Ultimate Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jul 28, 2007, 10:11:52 PM »

Ah.. so much equipment to buy... such little time (or is it money).

I'm listening to the music with no fear.
You can hear it too if you're sincere.
Beckmen
Shriners
Ultimate Member

I'm a alien!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: Jul 29, 2007, 07:09:46 AM »

I am not going to get sucked into the audiophile money vortex. If I was rich, yeah. But I make like 15 grand a year, which is about to go down to 0 grand a year in I think around 18 months.

My Short Films
My DVD Collection

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: