Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
SMF - Just Installed!

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Post your Home Theater Setup  (Read 85510 times)
Movie Freak
Shriners
Ultimate Member

"And I thought they smelled bad on the outside!"

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: Feb 21, 2009, 02:47:15 AM »

Of course I've been over before, it's just been LOOONG time since the last visit. 

I know friend, my humorous sarcasm doesn't translate well in this setting.

I should have just said, "it's nice to have you over", which is what I meant.

I know I don't say it enough, but I love you guys!
Shriners
Ultimate Member

Dressed for Success!

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: Feb 22, 2009, 08:07:23 PM »

I'm not very good at pictures, and I could use some wire management, but here she goes....

Beckmen
Shriners
Ultimate Member

I'm a alien!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: Feb 22, 2009, 09:53:27 PM »

Looking good. Is that a James Rolfe avatar in the second pic?

My Short Films
My DVD Collection

"When you're pushed...killing's as easy as breathing."
teedub
Shriners
Ultimate Member

Pop it to lock it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: Feb 23, 2009, 12:41:49 AM »

Lovely setup Cronnie!  Look at all those gaming systems!!!  Wink

Your avatar DOES resemble the fabled AVGN.

Movie Freak
Shriners
Ultimate Member

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: Feb 23, 2009, 01:17:24 AM »

I'm not very good at pictures, and I could use some wire management, but here she goes....

Very nice Cron, lookin real good! Congrats again on joining the Samsung XXA750 series family!!

Have you tried gaming using movie mode yet? I found the game-mode to be too high contrast like the dynamic mode.

I've been tweaking ever so slightly the last little while and I've come up with some pretty tight settings. We should trade notes some time.

Shriners
Ultimate Member

Dressed for Success!

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: Feb 23, 2009, 07:23:04 PM »

I had to look up who this James Rolfe was, and I do see the resemblance, but then again average white dude with glasses is hard to make unique in a basic avatar creator.
Although, I mostly wear contacts now though, so maybe I need to switch it up.

Yea I still use the 'Game' mode when gaming.  I felt the other settings, while great for film, muddles the sharp detail of HD graphics.  It is a little too bright though, so I definitely plan to eventually tweak the setting to something in between 'Game' mode and the custom settings, but I just haven't gotten around to it yet.  In fact, this reminds me I need to custom set my PS3 source.

arindam.0000

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: Apr 30, 2009, 09:20:58 AM »

Here are a few ideas to think about before you start setting up your system:

1. Consider where your gear is going to go. Is there enough room? You can make estimates from dimensions found on the manufacturer’s websites. Do you have room for additional components (HD receivers, game machines, TiVos, DVD-R) in the future?

2. Do you have enough AC power coming in? Should you call an electrician first to run a dedicated line from your breaker? Normally, this costs no more than a few hundred dollars and can help your system run better (fewer hums and noise for starters) and makes connecting your system easier too.

3. How much heat are you going to be generating? If your gear is going to be making a lot of heat, you will want to deal with this concept first. Having a handyman or installing a whisper fan connected to a vent is a worthy idea before you start your install.

4. Do you have a phone connection and a high-speed data connection ready at your rack? Your satellite receivers and TiVos will need at least a telephone connection. If you are buying a new Tivo2 or will be connecting a PlayStation2 or Xbox, you will want to have a high-speed connection terminated with an Ethernet connection. Such a connection will allow you to program your TiVo2 from your computer (not just the remote) and a high-speed connection will allow you to connect your new game machine so that you can have interactive play with other gamers all over the world. Even if you don’t plan on using the features, it might be worthwhile considering running the high-speed connection so that you do not have to disconnect the entire system in order to make an upgrade.

5. How far will you be sitting from your TV? A salesperson will sell you the biggest TV he or she can, often despite your needs. What you don't want is a set that is sized so that the width of the screen is at least 1.5 to 2.5 times the distance you sit from the set. Otherwise, even a great TV will look less than its best.

6. How heavy is your gear? Bryan Dailey and I recently installed a home theater in my bedroom. The shelf in my custom cabinet (which was specially braced with metal bars) sagged dramatically within hours of installation. A/V gear gets heavy and you need to consider this before you do all of the work to install your system. A big 34-inch Sony XBR HDTV, like the one I used, weighs 210 pounds. You need a strong stand to make this work without ruining any custom cabinetry.

7. Never order or buy a cable that is less than two meters long. It seems like you are saving money, but you are just making your system inflexible. You need the flexibility to move and adjust the placement of your gear. Too many times, short cables get in the way of making your system go together the way you want it to work.
Movie Freak
Shriners
Ultimate Member

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: Apr 30, 2009, 10:10:53 AM »

Roll Eyes

Beckmen
Shriners
Ultimate Member

I'm a alien!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: Apr 30, 2009, 06:38:14 PM »

Oh, man...Freak about to Freak....OUT!

My Short Films
My DVD Collection

Movie Freak
Shriners
Ultimate Member

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: Apr 30, 2009, 08:28:01 PM »

Oh, man...Freak about to Freak....OUT!

Well, we have to be nice, since this clamdigger is the first new member we've had since the birth of christ. Everyone, lets welcome roboto postmaster, our newest forum brother!  His redundant and useless information will add hours and hours of enjoyment to our forum! Roll Eyes

Beckmen
Shriners
Ultimate Member

I'm a alien!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: Apr 30, 2009, 09:01:54 PM »

There's no reason to be a dick about it. I mean if you don't like what the guy has to say, just ignore it. I really don't see what the big deal with the post is, myself...

My Short Films
My DVD Collection

Movie Freak
Shriners
Ultimate Member

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: Apr 30, 2009, 11:02:24 PM »

There's no reason to be a dick about it. I mean if you don't like what the guy has to say, just ignore it. I really don't see what the big deal with the post is, myself...

Seriously, I'm just amusing myself, you should know better.  Wink

Mirage52
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 04, 2009, 07:57:04 AM »

I finally updated something in my HT!!!! Woot!!!!

I replaced my old 5.1 Yamaha receiver with the faulty F/R channel with this...

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/productdetail.html?CNTID=5028042&CTID=5000300

And it sounds freaking amazing. I can't wait to update to 7.1!!!

The bad news is that I still have my old pro-scan DVD player, and even worse, my DirecTV receiver looks to be going up or has some bad component cables. It's always something!!!

But I am finally starting to update!!! And more importantly the wife seems to be on board too!

Who's house? Run's house.
Movie Freak
Shriners
Ultimate Member

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 04, 2009, 03:17:53 PM »

And more importantly the wife seems to be on board too!

Seriously, Congrats buddy! We all know the joy of upgrading something like that and I can imagine how much fun you'll have as you upgrade more of your system. I've always liked Yamaha and unless something dire happens, I will continue to buy their products.

WE NEED PICS OF THE SETUP WHEN YOU GET'ER RUNNIN!!!

Mirage52
Global Moderator
Ultimate Member

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 04, 2009, 03:27:32 PM »

Once I get this friggin' DirecTV issue fixed, I will.

Who's house? Run's house.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: