Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
SMF - Just Installed!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Blockbuster.com  (Read 18416 times)
zenje
Shriners
Ultimate Member

View Profile
« on: Jan 02, 2007, 11:21:48 AM »

This one's to beckmen and all those who have used BB's online service compared to Netflix.

I wanted to find out if it's worth it. I saw an ad the other day talking about BB Total Access (?), and they claim that you can rent online AND exchange in-store. Anybody tried it? I'm on a break with Netflix right now, and I was thinking of starting back with them, but now I'm having second thoughts. Undecided

I'm listening to the music with no fear.
You can hear it too if you're sincere.
Beckmen
Shriners
Ultimate Member

I'm a alien!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2007, 06:06:12 PM »

I am mostly happy. The only problem is stuff being on Long Wait and stuff. For movies, Total Access can kind of fix that for you. Just rent new releases in-store. But they don't have very much in trhe way of TV shows, so I am waiting on shows. For instance Oz: Season Six has been sitting in my queue since if was released all those months ago.

The Total Access works pretty good. When you are done with a Online DVD, take it to the store. Each envelope counts as a free movie rental. So you take three movies back, you get 3 movies to rent from the store. They scan them, take the envelopes and you leave. They claim that the online DVDs clear from your queue instantly, but in my experiance that is total BS. They seem to just mail them out the next day, so it takes 1-3 business days for BB to ship out your next movies, but in the meantime you have your in-store rentals to hold you over. It's a pretty good system, IMO.

I left Netflix because they were throttling me. They would recieve DVDs from me and DELIBERALTY wait a day or two before shipping out my new titles. So far I have not had that problem with BB, so I am happier now. Compounded with the Total Access, which essentially doubles the amount of movies you get to rent per month, I say BB is the way to go. The shipping times on both Netflix and BB have always been the same for me, as well.

My Short Films
My DVD Collection

"When you're pushed...killing's as easy as breathing."
zenje
Shriners
Ultimate Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2007, 06:55:09 PM »

Beckmen has spoken! I'm going to try that one first after my "break" is over. I won't be able to watch the movies anyways, maybe until February or March. The reason I never went for BB online was coz I didn't know how long the mailing took. Netflix was 1 day... not 1-2 days. But I think Total access eliminates that problem.

Thanks. Smiley

Shriners
Ultimate Member

Dressed for Success!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2007, 02:25:06 AM »

Yea, I have to say the Total Access thing is quite a great manuever for customers.  I always hated finishing a movie on Thursday, knowing I wouldn't get another in time for the weekend.

BelmontATO

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2007, 10:08:03 AM »

Netflix actually works really well for me, because I just don't have the time to watch all the movies I would like anyway. I do the "2 at a time" plan, and my wife and I each have our own queues. If I were single or had more free time, though, I would seriously look into the Blockbuster plan.
zenje
Shriners
Ultimate Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2007, 04:25:54 PM »

That's my problem too, I dont have much time to watch the movies right now. I used to have 4 at a time at Netflix. And it worked for me at the time.

Just found out BB also gives a coupon for a free game rental. Smiley

nonametofame

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2007, 03:17:33 PM »

The Total Access thing for me has been great. Along with the gamepass, I'm walking out of Blockbuster everytime without ever handing them over any green. I mainly use the .com site for all my HDDVD and BD rentals. Their selection isn't that great, but all the discs I get from them are usually pristine. I refuse to believe I'm the only one renting in the area so I guess all these HD owners are really careful handling the discs. AV enthusiasts really respect these rentals. I return the movies in store to pick up titles not yet available in HD, i.e, The Illusionist, Little Miss Sunshine, The Last Kiss, Factotum. This system has been working out really well.
Beckmen
Shriners
Ultimate Member

I'm a alien!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2007, 09:04:46 PM »

Not been working well for me, because I don't have a car and haven't been hanging out with friends lately because they are all so damned poor. Also, I don't have an outgoing mailbox at this house, so I can't really mail them from here. It's not like I don't have stuff to watch, though. Tons of TV stuff. But having discs just sitting here already watched makes me feel like I am not getting my money's worth.

My Short Films
My DVD Collection

zenje
Shriners
Ultimate Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 17, 2007, 11:42:09 AM »

I knew it! I knew Netflix will have to come up with a hit back at BB! Well, this is just the beginning, there's another different plan they're working on a cable-type box or something... that's what I'm waiting on.  Cool

Netflix to be delivered on the Internet

LOS GATOS, Calif. - Netflix Inc. will start showing movies and TV episodes over the Internet this week, providing its subscribers with more instant gratification as the DVD-by-mail service prepares for a looming technology shift threatening its survival.

The Los Gatos-based company plans to unveil the new "Watch Now" feature Tuesday, but only a small number of its more than 6 million subscribers will get immediate access to the service, which is being offered at no additional charge.

Netflix expects to introduce the instant viewing system to about 250,000 more subscribers each week through June to ensure its computers can cope with the increased demand.

After accepting a computer applet that takes less than a minute to install, subscribers will be able to watch anywhere from six hours to 48 hours of material per month on an Internet streaming service that is supposed to prevent piracy.

The allotted viewing time will be tied to how much customers already pay for their DVD rentals. Under Netflix's most popular $17.99 monthly package, subscribers will receive 18 hours of Internet viewing time.

Despite its limitations, the online delivery system represents a significant step for Netflix as it tries to avoid obsolescence after the Internet becomes the preferred method for piping movies into homes.

"This is a big moment for us," Netflix Chief Executive Reed Hastings as he clicked a computer mouse to quickly call up "The World's Fastest Indian" on the instant viewing service. "I have always envisioned us heading in this direction. In fact, I imagined we already would be there by now."

Besides preparing Netflix for the future, the instant viewing system also gives the company a potential weapon in its battle with Blockbuster Inc. As part of an aggressive marketing campaign, Blockbuster has been giving its online subscribers the option of bypassing the mail and returning DVDs to a store so they can obtain another movie more quickly.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070117/ap_on_hi_te/instant_netflix

« Last Edit: Jan 17, 2007, 11:44:44 AM by zenje » Logged

Tommy

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 17, 2007, 01:44:30 PM »

I have zero interest in watching movies or TV shows on my computer. Not that I'm a Netflix customer, so it doesn't matter, but really, when is the Internet going to be the preferred method for "piping movies into homes"?

10 years from now, I'll still be watching movies off discs.
jfrost
Shriners

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: Jan 17, 2007, 01:51:18 PM »

In the new world of Media Centre PC's connected to your television, this may be a huge success.
zenje
Shriners
Ultimate Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jan 17, 2007, 02:49:02 PM »

Agreed. These technology are slowly, but surely merging. This is the beginning of the inevitable. I'm not interested in watching movies on my PC, but this is just one route of 'delivering' movies. Remember, we're talking rentals, so for me, it doesnt matter if its a physical disc (which I have to drive for or wait for in the mail) or somehow thrown from satellite to my TV, as long as it doesn't mess with the quality.

For now, I wouldn't buy into this, mainly because broadband in this country is far from what it should be.

Beckmen
Shriners
Ultimate Member

I'm a alien!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: Jan 17, 2007, 09:54:26 PM »

Total BS to me. Can't stream video at good quality even if I DID want to watch movies and TV on my computer, which I DON'T (and I have gone to great and some would say insane lengths to avoid just that).

My Short Films
My DVD Collection

Tommy

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jan 18, 2007, 08:34:52 AM »

Just curious, but what "great and...insane lengths" have you taken, and why? Is someone forcing this on you?
Beckmen
Shriners
Ultimate Member

I'm a alien!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: Jan 18, 2007, 08:55:27 AM »

Hooking up a camcorder to record my computer screen and outputting it to my TV (not recording, but you know...). Maybe not THAT insane, but I am partial to hyperbole.

My Short Films
My DVD Collection

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: