Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
SMF - Just Installed!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Headphones for home theatre?  (Read 21537 times)
Tommy

View Profile
« on: Feb 28, 2007, 02:52:10 PM »

Anyone out there use headphones for DVD listening? With my wife studying at home a lot, I sometimes watch with headphones to keep the noise down. Thing is, my headphones are ok, but not great.

Anyone have a pair they dig for movies?
Joe

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Jun 28, 2007, 09:58:43 AM »

I just have an old pair as well.  I really need a new pair I think.  I use mine for "killing people" as the wife puts it on the 360....

I'm not sure what to get as well. And what price point do I look at to get something good?

"Strange things are a foot at the Circle K"
Beckmen
Shriners
Ultimate Member

I'm a alien!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: Jun 28, 2007, 10:20:02 AM »

I should, because there is so much fucking white noise in the summer here with fans and AC that no matter how loud I turn up the volume I can't understand that people are saying. But the 1/8" adapter headphone plug broke off in my surround sound's hole.

My Short Films
My DVD Collection

"When you're pushed...killing's as easy as breathing."
Justin Cleveland
« Reply #3 on: Jun 28, 2007, 08:21:08 PM »

Well... how much do you want to spend?  Because I love my Bose QC2's, but they run a pretty penny.  Worth every one, if you ask me.
teedub
Shriners
Ultimate Member

Pop it to lock it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: Jun 29, 2007, 09:13:23 AM »

I've got a pair of studio monitor headphones I use.  The model escapes me, so I'm posting this as a reminder to myself to check when I get home.

Joe

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 29, 2007, 10:16:01 AM »

What price point are you taling about?  I was thinking about spending like $200 at the most.  If the wife doesn't see the bill...  Grin

Beckmen
Shriners
Ultimate Member

I'm a alien!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: Jun 29, 2007, 10:36:41 AM »

Buy some Sony headphones at Wal-Mart for like 20 bucks, and then some cord extensions and if need be an adaptor. 200 bucks is insanity. You could buy me a car for that price.

My Short Films
My DVD Collection

"When you're pushed...killing's as easy as breathing."
Justin Cleveland
« Reply #7 on: Jun 29, 2007, 11:01:47 AM »

I would seriously go take a look on eBay for Bose QuietComfort 2 headphones.  They are phenomenal, and run (on eBay) for about 250 bucks.

I've also been reading good things about these:

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product_Id=4153681&JRSource=googlebase.datafeed.AT+ATHANC7

But haven't tried them myself.  Remember: I used to (and am likely again soon) wear headphones for a living, 4-5 hours per day.  I like quality, good sound, and comfort.
« Last Edit: Jun 29, 2007, 11:09:31 AM by Justin Cleveland » Logged
teedub
Shriners
Ultimate Member

Pop it to lock it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: Jun 29, 2007, 11:12:29 AM »

Back in the broadcast biz?!?!?  That's where you need to be, you've got a face MADE for radio. Wink

Justin Cleveland
« Reply #9 on: Jun 29, 2007, 12:58:36 PM »

And a gut.

Tongue
Joe

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jun 29, 2007, 01:01:47 PM »

That is cool but why are they all wireless now?  I don't want to go through batteries all the time!!

teedub
Shriners
Ultimate Member

Pop it to lock it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: Jun 30, 2007, 02:35:05 AM »

AKG K-220M.  Under $100, and awesome.  I like the noise-canceling sets too, but I don't need them, and they're too pricey for me.  I've got a lot of use out of these, for recording and recreational use.  Bought an extension cable for $15, and it goes all the way across the room if need be.

zenje
Shriners
Ultimate Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jul 01, 2007, 09:23:21 AM »

Quote from: Tommy
Anyone out there use headphones for DVD listening? With my wife studying at home a lot, I sometimes watch with headphones to keep the noise down.
I'm not a fan of noise cancelling headphones. From what you describe, I don't think you need them either. I have a 'Samson', but I just bought them for the computer mainly, even though I can use them for HT. What I would suggest though, is to get something that fits over the ears. Not those little ones that go in your ears, or just sit on top. Kinda like this;

Oh, and wireless isn't that great either... atleast for now. Sennheisers are cool, but a tad expensive for me.

I'm listening to the music with no fear.
You can hear it too if you're sincere.
Tommy

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Oct 17, 2007, 07:51:11 AM »

Man, how'd time fly by so quickly? I'm still considering new headphones.

I'm definitely looking for the over-ear type, like you've pictured. My budget is somewhere between $100-$200 CDN, which definitely makes things interesting now that we're at par with the U.S. dollar (or slightly better than par).

I'm thinking Grado SR80 or SR125, Sennheiser 280 Pro or HD-555, not all of which fit my budget. I haven't seen much info about the AKGs, but I'm still looking around.

If I were filthy rich, I'd try these: http://www.onheadphones.com/product-reviews/audiophile/grado-gs1000-headphones.html Holy smokes!
teedub
Shriners
Ultimate Member

Pop it to lock it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: Oct 17, 2007, 08:34:21 AM »

The AKG's that I have are ridiculously cheap now, probably a little too "low-end" compared what's available now.  I've used Sennheiser gear, they make quality stuff.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: